We are seeking a collaborative, proactive Accounting Supervisor who will be responsible for the direction and supervision of general accounting staff and for the completion of complex and technical accounting work with competence and professionalism. Accounting functions include general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and grants accounting.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Supervises and participates in developing, implementing, and evaluating plans, work processes, systems and procedures to achieve annual goals, objectives and work standards.
- Participates in the selection of Accounting staff; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies.
- Establishes schedules and methods for providing accounting services; identifies resource needs; reviews Division needs with appropriate management staff; allocates resources accordingly.
- Trains assigned employees in their areas of work including professional accounting methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Verifies the work of assigned employees for accuracy, proper work methods, techniques, and compliance with applicable standards and specifications; ensures adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
- Compiles annual financial statements including Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and State Controller reports.
- Performs complex and technical accounting work in the maintenance of records of budget appropriations, revenues, and expenditures/expenses; schedules journal vouchers and reconciliations to produce accurate periodic reports for assigned funds.
- Develops recommendations and calculates allocation of costs to City departments and special districts; analyzes cost data and prepares project accounting reports.
- Prepares short-term and long-term financial planning of City funds; comprehensive analysis of City programs; forecasting of revenues and expenditures; provides narrative analysis.
- Develops, documents, and reviews the City’s financial procedures and internal controls; ensures operational compliance by all City personnel.
- Monitors changes in regulations and GAAP guidelines; reports and recommends changes to City practices and procedures in accordance with regulations and standards.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business administration or a closely related field.
- Six or more years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience, preferably in a governmental agency including one year of lead supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare clear, concise and comprehensive financial statements, reports and written materials.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement financial procedures and controls.
- Ability to understand, interpret, explain and apply federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid Class C California driver’s license.
- Strategic Thinker
- Customer Focused
- Problem Solver and Decision Maker
- Planner and Organizer
- Interpersonally Effective
- Technically Knowledgeable
- First review of candidates: Wednesday, March 10, 2021.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION - The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities to participate in the selection process. If you wish to request an accommodation in order to participate in the selection process, you must inform the Human Resources Department in writing no later than the final filing date. Applicants requesting an accommodation should document the request including the type and extent of accommodations requested to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE - In order to qualify for Veteran’s Preference a Form DD214, or other acceptable proof of service, must be submitted by the deadline date/time noted in the job announcement. Any veteran who has successfully completed all phases of a selection process for employment with the City shall be granted a final interview regardless of his or her ranking on the eligibility list, providing he/she meets the criteria for an eligible veteran.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.