This position is responsible for the daily operations of the Accounting department of the District. Provides direct supervision over the Accounting staff and assists the Accounting Manager in all areas of the accounting function. This position reports to the Accounting Manager.
- Perform professional accounting functions in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Implement changes in accounting rules and regulations.
- Responsible for the operation and review of accounting systems and records, including, but not limited to, cash receipts, expenditures, purchasing, payroll, and general ledger.
- Responsible for completion of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Research changes in accounting rules and regulations and make recommendations regarding implementation.
- Responsible for the administration of the accounting software.
- Responsible for the administration of the payroll portion of the HRIS software.
- Prepare/review various monthly and year-end schedules.
- Ensure adherence to policies and procedures.
- Keeps the Accounting Manager informed of issues and activities related to accounting systems.
- Maintains accurate historical records by capturing records into the records management system.
- Additional functions may be essential as designated by the Accounting Manager.
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent analytical skills, detail oriented, and highly organized.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to meet deadlines.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks.
- Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must be highly skilled in Microsoft Office Applications.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Minimum of eight years of progressive accounting experience, five years in a supervisory role.
- Governmental experience preferred.
- CPA or CGFO designation preferred.
- Requires a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Environmental Factors, Activity Levels and Equipment
- This position requires minimum physical exertion with daily lifting requirements up to 10 pounds. Significant finger dexterity required. Activities may include carrying office materials, pulling and pushing file drawers and organizing paperwork. Duties are almost always carried out in an office environment. Equipment used includes a computer, printer, calculator, copier and telephone.