Assists the Finance Director in the management and operation of the City's Budget. This is a highly responsible, professional position assisting the Finance Director in the development, implementation, monitoring and administration of the City's strategic plan and annual budget. Work is performed with a good deal of independence of action and where the exercise of sound, independent judgment within established policy is a prime factor subject to final approval by the Finance Director. Must be willing to work extended hours during the Budget preparation season, the year-end close, and the review and approval period for the Budget. Supervision may be exercised over the professional and clerical staff in the Finance Office. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following under the direction of the Finance Director: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assists in the development, implementation, monitoring and ongoing maintenance of the City's annual budget and strategic business plan.
- Forecasts revenues and expenditures for specific periods of time; and consolidates information for the Finance Director.
- Meets with departments to review work plan goals and objectives.
- Evaluates departmental programmatic performance, supplemental budget requests and/or transfers for need, and interprets Finance Office policies, practices and procedures as required, making appropriate recommendations for administrative review.
- Prepares ad-hoc analyses for senior management.
- Assists with the City Manager's budget presentation to the Board of Commissioners.
- Assists in the preparation of mandated advertisements and documentation required for public hearings and the adoption of the final budget by the Board of Commissioners.
- Trains all levels of staff in budget principles and techniques.
- May be required to attend Council meetings, community meetings and public hearings.
- May be required to attend City staff meetings.
- Makes oral presentations when required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration, Economics, or related field. Master’s Degree, CPA, CGFM, or CPFO preferred. Good oral and written communication skills. Three (3) to five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in public finance/accounting.
- In place of the above requirements, the incumbent may have any equivalent combination of relevant education and experience which would demonstrate the individual's knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties listed above.
Skills and Abilities
- Ethical in conduct and able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Must have knowledge of office administrative procedures, and knowledge of use, and operation of standard office equipment
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software.
- Must have high level of people skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to collect data and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems, and prioritize work.
- Work requires continual diligence, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. In addition, drafts reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals in a professional, organized and standard format. Effectively communicates information and responds to questions from a diverse group of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
- Competently adds, subtracts, multiplies and divides of all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Computes rate, ratio, and percent; draws and interprets bar graphs.
- Solves practical problems and quickly adapts to situations where only limited standardization exists. Adept at interpreting a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Current driver's license
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00am -4:30pm. Occasional evening, weekend or hours adjustments may be required as job duties demand.
- An employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job must meet the physical demands listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and/or listen. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and an ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Quiet work environment in an office setting
Please note that this job description does not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employee signature below constitutes employee’s understanding of the requirements, essential functions, and duties of the position.