GovHR USA is pleased to announce the recruitment of a newly approved position of Finance Services Director for the City of Boca Raton (Pop 95,787). Boca Raton, the second largest city located in Palm Beach County, is known as the community where history and innovation come together. Most notably influenced by the renowned architect, Addison Mizer, this role offers a unique opportunity to a professional seeking to work within a community that continuously looks forward to development while respecting the deep vibrant history of the past. Boca Raton is consistently recognized for being one of the safest cities to live in and for having one of the lowest property tax rates for a ‘full-service’ city in Florida.
The City is a premier location with access to three major airports and offering a one-of-a-kind balance of natural beauty and cultural attractions, exciting events, and sun-filled leisure activities. This position offers a competitive salary and a robust benefits package, including the opportunity to work in an idyllic, thriving coastal community in South Florida.
As a member of the executive management team, the new Director will be responsible for the operations and strategic management of the City’s financial and accounting services to include cash management, debt administration, accounts payable and receivable, audit, payroll, investment of public funds, structuring long and short-term debt and financial plans, preparation of reports, and financial analysis. The director is responsible for the oversight of Purchasing, Pension Administration, Parking Enforcement, and Utility Customer Service and Billing for the City. It is anticipated that the Office of Management and Budget will be incorporated into the Financial Services Department.
The position develops fiscally sound operating procedures and policies in accordance with City goals, regulatory requirements, and generally accepted standard accounting principles. This position provides leadership and mentorship city-wide and is a key member of City's collective bargaining team and serves as the Finance Director for the Boca Raton Community Redevelopment Agency, a dependent special district of the City.
Examples of Position Responsibilities (Please see entire job description for specifics)
- Oversees the management of accounting operations in addition to cash management & treasury functions, compliance, purchasing, pension administration, payroll, utility billing and customer service, and parking enforcement.
- Evaluates, plans, organizes, and implements departmental operations, goals and objectives, coordinates and integrates all systems and activities toward achievement of established operations, goals, and objectives; develops and implements changes as necessary to departmental policies and procedures to maintain fiscally sound operations.
- Manages assigned staff (including staff and operations related to the City’s internal audit functions and compliance matters) including scheduling and all human resources activities.
- Analyzes City fiscal policies; interprets data; formulates the recommendations for action by the City Manager and the City Council.
- Oversees the investment of City funds in accordance with applicable laws, standards, and practices and the City’s adopted Investment Policy.
- Performs or supervises comprehensive management analyses in a wide range of municipal policies, organization, procedures, budgetary and finance areas.
- Other related work as outlined in the full job description.
- Bachelor’s degree required, in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Public Finance or Public Administration from an accredited college or university; Master’s degree preferred;
- At least three (3) years senior-level management experience within municipal, county, or other similar large scale local government operations (including experience managing multiple employer-sponsored pension plans with police and fire state statute requirements is strongly preferred.
○ and either
- A Valid Certified Public Accountant Certification required (CPA); with Five (5) years’ experience in governmental accounting to include financial reporting and budgeting;
- Seven (7) years’ experience in governmental accounting to include financial reporting and budgeting; with a Valid Certified Public Accountant Certification and/or Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) strongly preferred.
What You Can Expect!
- In return for your dedication, value-added and high-quality performance, the City provides:
- A work environment that focuses on employees who deliver essential community services in a manner that values fairness, integrity, respect, service, and trust.
- Highly competitive compensation and top tier benefits package including:
○ An attractive executive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare coverage with 100% employer funded option for single and dependent coverage, financial security, health and wellness support, and professional growth opportunities designed to enhance your overall work-life experience.
○ Robust leave benefits that allow for a balanced work life along with a unique sell back feature providing for additional compensation.
○ Eight (8) floating holidays (64 hours).
○ The hiring range for this role is up to $200,000 depending on qualifications.
○ The actual salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, education, operational needs, market demands and internal equity.
○ Available relocation assistance for moving company expenses up to $5,000 for out-of-area candidates.
○ Retirement plan options of either a 401(a) Defined Contribution plan (5% team member contribution / 16% City contribution) or Executive Defined Benefit Pension plan (11% team member contribution with a 2.55% multiplier)
○ Enhanced accruals of vacation leave with the option for cash out as desired.
○ Auto allowance of $4,200 per year.
○ Additional information regarding benefits associated with this position may be found in the Department Head Benefits Overview.
- The City is a highly desirable coastal location on the Atlantic Ocean in South Florida, easily accessible to major metropolitan areas such as Miami and Palm Beach, making it an ideal location to live, work and play!
- A thriving and vibrant community with many A-rated public schools or excellent private K-12 schools, several universities, including Florida Atlantic University boasting the recent NCAA Final Four Owls men’s basketball team, if needed.
- A hybrid work schedule that may include the ability to work from home on a limited basis.
The position posting and application instructions can be found on the GovHR USA career center at www.GovHRjobs.com.
Posting will be open through close of business, Friday, December 8, 2023.
Please submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for three to five professional or supervisory references.
Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to: Joan Walko, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, Phone (410) 499-9586.
The City of Boca Raton is an Equal Opportunity employer.