This position is primarily responsible for maintaining detailed subsidiary ledgers for capital water and wastewater work-in-progress/plant projects and for reconciling these projects to the general ledger. This includes contributed equity and liability accounts associated with the work-in-progress and capital accounts.
- Reconcile and analyze assigned accounts to the general ledger monthly.
- Prepare journal entries to complete monthly accounting cycle, annual audit, and any adjusting entries necessary to reconcile subsidiary records to the general ledger.
- Maintain information on mainframe computer or personal computer using spreadsheet programs and/or database programs to aid in preparing monthly and/or annual analyses for assigned accounts.
- Verify all source documents are correctly charged and pertain to the project using sound technical judgment.
- Monitor GAAP standards in area of responsibility.
- Accountable for the timely completion of assigned year-end audit schedules, annual functional area incentives and any assigned financial/accounting reports.
- Regular attendance is required.
- Job performance must conform to all CWS policies and procedures.
- Specific knowledge of CWS Environmental Management System Policy and Procedures.
- Develop and/or revise detailed SOIs and checklists for major job responsibilities.
- Report statistics on areas of responsibility.
- Assist in revising, directing and implementing company policy in areas of responsibility.
- Maintain files, records and other needed information.
- Assist internal customers with their needs.
- Develop, suggest and perform testing on financial management system enhancements or corrections.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements, Activities, and Working Conditions
- Sedentary work occasionally positioning self to exert up to 20 lbs of force and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift and transport objects. Objects greater than 50 lbs require a two-person operation.
- Ability to visually observe and comprehend computer/terminal screens, reports and correspondence for approval and reconciliation purposes, data input and filing.
- Ability to effectively use personal computers with printer; telephone; calculator; copy machine; fax machine; and assigned software.
- Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of written and oral communications.
- Ability to receive detailed information through written and oral communication.
- Ability to identify, reach and handle documents as required to perform the essential job functions and to maintain an accurate record keeping system.
Education and/or Experience
- B. S. degree in Accounting or Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting and one year experience or a combination of education and experience in Accounting to equal seven (7) years.
- Experience must be progressively responsible and diverse accounting experience in which a broad exposure to all areas of accounting and accounting principles, practices and procedures was acquired.
- Moderate knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and concepts.
- Good analytical skills.
- Good negotiation and people skills.
- Advanced knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software programs.
- Prior work record indicating dependability and conscientiousness.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- There are no special designations required for this position.
- OSHA and Departmental safety training as required.
- Skills Based Training.
- Standard Operating Instruction (SOI) per department requirements.
- ISO 14001 standards for department and company.
- See Department Competency and Training Matrix for this position.
Potential Career Path:
ELIGIBILITY FOR PROMOTION TO VARIOUS POSITIONS THROUGHOUT THE COMMISSION DEPENDS UPON INDIVIDUAL QUALIFICATIONS, AND NOTED JOB PROGRESSIONS ARE NO GUARANTEE OF CAREER PATH TO THESE OR ANY OTHER JOB(S) AT THE COMMISSION.
- Accounting Manager