This professional position reports directly to the Administrator/Chief Clerk and provides accounting, financial and administrative support to the Administrator and Board of Commissioners. The overall purpose of this position is to maintain and improve the financial accountability of York County. This position is responsible for the development of the County’s annual budget in consultation with the Administrator, financial oversight of all major capital projects undertaken by the County, and supervision of all financial services for which the Board of Commissioners are responsible for. The position will also perform other analysis and reviews of county operations as directed by the Board of Commissioners and Administrator.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or business administration required with a minimum of five years of municipal management experience preferred.
- A thorough understanding of generally accepted governmental accounting principles and sound government fiscal management practices, governmental budgeting processes and the ability to analyze departmental compliance with approved budgets.
- Sound understanding of computer applications and the ability to prepare financial documentation, spreadsheets, etc. as needed.
- Maintains a professional appearance and effectively reads, writes, speaks and understands the English language to effectively work with the Board of Commissioners and all county agencies.
- Deal tactfully with department personnel, government agencies, clients and the public
- Must have the ability to provide leadership and establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other agencies, institutions and the public.
- Exhibits patience, tact and a professional manner when conducting business.
- Must possess knowledge and the ability to read and interpret state, federal and County code standards, regulations, and policies governing county operated programs and implements them into countywide practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews all financial systems of the county and makes recommendations for improvements to the Administrator and Commissioners.
- Ensures that all financial processes under the Board of Commissioners are executed appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Assists the Administrator with the preparation of budgets that include revenues and expenses, capital expenditures and cash flow projections.
- Assists the Administrator with budget analysis and monitoring monthly financial statements and the status of all county departments and agencies.
- Communicates with elected officials, department heads and county agencies to ensure that they are receiving and providing timely financial reports and the necessary financial information to properly manage the financial affairs of their respective programs.
- Provides input on long term financial and strategic planning.
- Continuously looks for improvements in operational processes and works with the Administrator to design and implements those initiatives.
- Works with various departments in development of policy initiatives and serves as Chairperson of the County Policy Committee.
- Works with County departments to plan, organize, direct and coordinate grant-related initiatives including research, acquisition and compliance with terms of the grants.
- Represent Administrator at meetings, functions, etc. when required.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned by supervisor.