The Director of Payroll is responsible for the organization, operation, and coordination of the Loudoun County Public Schools Division Payroll. This employee directs and evaluates the activities of the Payroll Supervisor; directs staff development for the employees in this division with emphasis on teamwork and world class customer service.
Roles and Responsibilities
The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; work may differ, and other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate.
- Directs the Payroll operations of the School District; Provides excellent customer service and payroll administration; investigates new benefit programs and how they integrate into payroll and the corresponding laws; improve existing programs and processes; supervises and monitors payroll personnel; provides research, analytical and technical support in the delivery of the payroll processing.
- Evaluates and revises internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency; survey industry trends; complete payroll surveys and reviews information obtained from the results; analyzes complex benefits information; forecasts trends and assists with future payroll needs; develops specific recommendations for review by management; prepares, collects, and organizes data for assessments; monitors payroll costs and recommends cost containment strategies, including alternative methods for administration and funding; prepares budgetary recommendations and assist in the monitoring, verifying and reconciling of budgeted funds.
- Ensures compliance with applicable government regulations and ensures timeliness and accuracy of required federal and state filings; coordinate strategies that support the Virginia Retirement System requirement across responsible divisions while maintaining compliance in all aspects.
- Responsible for directing and planning goals for payroll; develop long-range objectives regarding automation, efficiencies, and effectiveness.
- Consults with the Executive Director for Business and Financial Services on appropriate policy, regulations, and procedures to provide a continuously improving level of service to the citizens, the School Board, the Superintendent, and the employees of LCPS; attend School Board meetings and prepare such reports for the School Board as the Chief Financial Officer may request.
- Participates in the recruitment, screening, selection, assignment, supervision, and evaluation of payroll personnel. Provides guidance and assistance to all employees, community agencies, and businesses, as required.
Below are the minimum qualifications for this job. Equivalent combinations of education and experience are also acceptable.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited college or university; Master’s Degree is preferred, CPP preferred
- Seven years of experience in a Human Capital Management leadership role; public-school system or local government experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrating knowledge of the theory, principles, practices, and techniques of public sector employment, payroll law, benefits, and retirement services
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Qualified Section 125 plans, workers’ compensation, Medicare, COBRA, and Social Security and DOL requirements
- Demonstrated professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel and members of the community
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates
- Strong technical skills to facilitate complex budget analysis
- Capability of effective planning and priority setting
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this job:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. The employee must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.