Performs expert-level professional work in the preparation and analysis of budgets and management issues including the development of financial reports for presentation to departments, School Division administration, and School Board, and grant management; provides general guidance to Budget & Management Analyst I/II and may act as project coordinator on assignments involving other professional staff; does related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Assisting with the review and analyses of proposed budgeted revenues and expenditures; assisting with proposed and adopted budget presentation; assisting with monitoring budget revenue and expenditures; preparing and maintaining budget and other related fiscal reports, records and files.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Assists with preparation, monitoring and administration of assigned budgets by providing research, analysis and recommended funding/staffing levels to ensure the most effective, efficient use of resources; responds to requests from School officials and citizens for information/assistance; provides interpretation and explanation of budget related information.
- Assists in constructing, compiling, advertising and publishing the proposed budget; analyzes resource requests and needs; provides recommendations for funding support while ensuring use of resources maintains a balanced budget.
- Works as designated analyst to special fund budgets. Provides support for School Board Committees including Finance and others as designated; including attend meetings; prepares analysis including economic updates, spreadsheets and other documentation as needed; analyzes budget requests; makes recommendations on actions to be taken; tracks committee decisions and prepares School Board resolutions, summary reports and budget transaction documentation.
- Monitors and reconciles revenue and expenditures to ensure the budget remains balanced; performs varied analysis on budget data to include comparison of projections to actual expenditures and revenues; performs statistical, account and costs analysis.
- Drafts resolutions, timelines, policies and procedures to be considered by the School Board on budget and financial issues.
- Works with School Division offices and departments in the preparation, submission, and management of grants.
- Manages awarded and accepted grants through the life-cycle to ensure compliance with rules, regulations, and laws including ensuring proper submission of reporting and reimbursement requests.
- Analyzes and recommends action to be taken concerning requests for reallocation of funds and supplemental appropriations.
- Assists in the development of long-range financial and strategic planning initiatives tasked to the department.
- Prepares and analyzes data from benchmarking studies of the School Division through multiple communication networks.
- Participates in implementation of recommendations to ensure conformity with approved plans and to provide a link between concept and execution.
- Provides assistance to department heads/principals, and their staffs to promote the most efficient and effective accomplishment of operating objectives and processes. Prepares, reviews, completes or processes various forms, reports, correspondence, comparative data, legislative reports, policies, procedures, manuals, publications, bulletins, directories, reference materials or other documentation.
- Performs in-depth analysis of organizational issues, practices, policies, and procedures; analyzes the adequacy and effectiveness of practices and policies; analyzes the development and implementation of new procedures and policies
- Attends meetings; makes speeches or presentations as needed; develops presentation materials; leads and facilitates meetings, work groups, and process action teams. Prepares clear and concise complex financial reports, with the ability to express ideas clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to adjust workload changes, to manage competing task requirements to meet deadlines.
- Works with School Division offices and departments to address questions and concerns related to the daily budgetary transactions.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of the functions and operations of the School Division; thorough knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and techniques of municipal accounting, finance and budgeting; thorough knowledge of the state laws and local ordinances applicable to budget preparation, approval and administration; general knowledge of research techniques, methods and procedures; ability to analyze and develop budget estimates; ability to conduct detailed research and prepare reports and findings; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a graduate degree with major course work in accounting, finance, public administration or related field and 7-10 years of experience in financial analysis and project management.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work and observing general surroundings and activities;
the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.