(ACTUAL ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE WORLDWIDE)
INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICAL ADVISOR
BUDGET AND FINANCIAL ACCOUNTABILITY
The US Department of the Treasury, Office of Technical Assistance (OTA) is recruiting individuals on a competitive basis to serve as Advisors under a personal services contract for its Budget and Financial Accountability Team. The Team operates through resident (long-term) or intermittent (short-term) engagements assisting counterpart governments in improvements to Public Financial Management and strengthening the effectiveness of Ministries of Finance. Advisors provide support to Ministry of Finance and other host government officials in developing countries.
OTA works with countries to improve all aspects of the budget cycle and projects may focus on one or more of these elements including:
- Budget planning and formulation
- Financial forecasting
- Budget execution and expenditure management
- Internal controls
- Accounting and financial reporting
- Treasury systems and cash management
- Pension systems design and administration
- Financial Management Information Systems
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide technical advice on strengthening public financial management or information technology systems to support the specific elements of the project.
- Develop proposals and concepts to initiate project reforms and liaise with counterparts to move the proposals forward.
- Draft and implement new laws, regulations, standards and/or manuals as appropriate to the project.
- Evaluate existing business processes; design new and improved processes; and assist in implementing new business processes, both manual and automated, in coordination with the country’s financial management systems.
- Organize and perform on the job and formal training to develop the capacity of counterparts and support the implementation of intended
- Design reports to facilitate project elements.
- Design organizational structures including staffing complements and job descriptions.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, public administration or related field is required, with a Master’s preferred. Relevant employment experience may be substituted for Bachelor’s degree.
- Five or more years in a senior position in federal, state or large-sized local government, to include experience in one or more of the specific areas: budget planning and formulation, budget execution and expenditure control, financial management and reporting, accounting, payroll, treasury and cash management, procurement, information technology, pension administration.
- Advanced professional certifications (for example CPA, CFA, CPFO) also preferred
- Prior international experience and working or training in challenging environments will be viewed positively.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with internal controls, business processes, financial management systems, financial reporting and chart of accounts.
- Strong project management, communication, and leadership skills.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Ability to motivate the client and build consensus.
- Ability to be flexible by changing focus and approaches based on needs of the client
- Knowledge of international financial institutions and their policies and practices is desirable.
- Proficiency in French, Spanish or other languages is highly desirable.
The advisor will work in developing and transitional countries worldwide to support U.S. Treasury and U.S. Government economic and national security objectives. The advisor may be deployed to countries with elevated threat levels, including potentially high/critical threat posts, as determined by the U.S. Government.
Candidates must be U.S. citizens.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For consideration, emailed applications should not be sent, or contain a cc, to any OTA, IRS, or other government personnel or email address.
Please reference Solicitation 2032K822R00006 on your cover letter and resume.
When emailing, the subject line must contain the following: Solicitation 2032K822R00006 – Budget Advisor - Applicant’s Last Name, First Name. Emails received not containing this subject line will be deemed non-responsive, and thus, will not be forwarded to the program office/selection official(s) for