Salary: $9,476.13 - $12,129.87 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01326-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Financial Planning and Management ServicesGeneral Accounting Unit (Position Code 0316)
This position will report directly to the Financial Services Manager of the General Accounting Unit and will lead the General Ledger section activities overseeing four professional Accountant IIs. Some of the responsibilities of this position include preparing journal entries, cost allocation, administering fund balance reserves, overseeing monthly and year-end accounting closes, providing lead direction in conducting annual financial audit, preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and State Controller's Report, implementing new Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements and a variety of technical tasks and special projects relative to general ledger.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead, plan, train and review the work of staff responsible for general ledger and financial reporting.
- Oversee accounts receivable, cash collections, daily bank deposits, and account reconciliations.
- Review and ensure accuracy and timely reporting of financial transactions into the general ledger.
- Prepare journal entry adjustments, administer fund balance reserves, monthly cost allocations, and fixed asset inventory control.
- Coordinate monthly and fiscal year-end accounting closes.
- Perform accounting tasks and problem resolution in assigned areas.
- Perform a variety of technical tasks and special projects relative to assigned area of responsibility.
- Oversee annual financial audits and provide support to outside auditors.
- Prepare annual financial reports. E.g. Annual Comprehensive Financial Reporting and the State Controller's Report.
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
- Five (5) years of professional accounting experience, preferably in a public agency, including experience with financial statement generation Experience in maintaining general ledger, preparing financial statements, leading accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable.
- Experience in the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and the State Controller's Report.
- Experience in automated accounting systems such as Peoplesoft or equivalent.
- Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
- Prepare a variety of clear and concise financial summaries and accounting reports.
- Identify and correct accounting errors.
- Independently perform professional accounting and auditing functions.
- Interpret, explain, and enforce accounting policies and procedures.
- Plan, organize, assign, review, and evaluate the work of staff; train staff in work procedures.
- Ensure compliance with applicable financial reporting and governmental accounting regulations.
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Principle, practices, methods and techniques of governmental accounting and financial management and reporting.
- Theories and practices of accounting and auditing.
Ideal Training and Education:
- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting or a related field.
Required Licensing and Certificates:
- CPA, CPFO or CGFM licensing and certificates are a plus.
- For additional details, please see the brochure http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/Sr Acct_Brochure 8-11-21.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Required License or Certificate
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
- To review the detailed Job Description, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/Senior Accountant - 7-2021.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2444419
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.