PLEASE READ THIS BULLETIN IN ITS ENTIRETY
THE CITY OF VALLEJO
The City of Vallejo is located in Solano County and has a population of approximately 121,000 residents. Vallejo is a rapidly changing, highly diverse community located midway between the cities of San Francisco and Sacramento. It is a friendly, active waterfront community that attracts innovative, hardworking people and takes great pride in its 148-year history and maritime heritage. Residents of Vallejo are situated to take advantage of the best of what the area has to offer. Golf, museums, performing arts, boutique shopping, brewpubs and a wide selection of restaurants are all available in Vallejo. Residents and visitors alike enjoy Vallejo’s delightful historical downtown area, weekly downtown farmer’s market, and beautifully restored Victorian homes and business facades. Vallejo is also home to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, one of America’s only combination wildlife, oceanarium and theme parks.
The Public Works Department is responsible for the engineering design, construction, and maintenance of the City's roads, sidewalks, traffic signals, trees, open spaces, and buildings. The department is responsible for activities involving the sale and/or procurement of real property, and managing City-owned property lease agreements. The department also manages stormwater compliance programs, transportation planning, and recycling & solid waste contract services. The City of Vallejo is committed to conserving natural resources and encouraging a sustainable environment through reducing, reusing and recycling.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one full-time vacancy. The list established by this recruitment may be used to fill future full-time, part-time, limited term, and temporary vacancies for up to one year.
Although this classification is typically allocated in the Finance Department, the current recruitment will fill a newly created position in the Public Works Department. As said, this position will report to the Administrative Manager of Public Works. The Senior Accountant will have the exciting opportunity of developing and administering grants, budgets, and contracts. This position will ensure required reporting is submitted in a timely and accurate manner and the large budget is efficiently managed. This position may supervise and/or participate in the work of staff responsible for providing financial record keeping, reporting and cost accounting functions within the Public Works Department; and to perform a variety of professional accounting tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- Receives direction from the Assistant/Finance Director and/or Accounting Manager.
- May exercise direct supervision over professional, technical and clerical staff.
Examples of Duties
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise and/or participate in the work of staff involved in a variety of financial, managerial, and accounting activities within the Finance Department.
- Prepare various reports on operations and activities, including staff reports for the Finance Director for City Council Meetings.
- Assist in the preparation of and monitor the city-wide budget; prepare periodic reports and recommendations for budget adjustments as necessary.
- Lead and participate in a wide variety of professional accounting duties; monitor preparation of year-end adjusting and closing entries and annual financial report; review City employee travel expenses for compliance with City travel policy; audit subsidiary journals, registers and staff entries to ensure proper account coding, monthly bank reconciliations, documentation and account balancing.
- Maintain and reconcile a variety of ledgers, reports and account records; examine and correct accounting transactions to ensure accurate recording, balancing and classification of all income and expenditures to proper accounts in accordance with City procedures.
- Assist State auditors with financial audit of City; provide financial statements and information as necessary.
- Analyze various funds, financial summaries and statements; initiate improvements or revisions in the accounting system or its procedures.
- Prepare a variety of complex financial statements and reports including monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and make oral presentations.
- Assist and interact with various departments and divisions on the interpretation and analysis of financial reports, schedules and statements.
- Determine trends and analysis of revenues and expenditures for various funds and departments; recommend effective courses of action, solutions, and/or alternatives.
- Administer, monitor, analyze, and account for Federal and State grants, contracts and agreements to ensure that funds are received and payments are made, and compliance is maintained.
- Perform a variety of research on special projects within the Department as assigned.
- Respond to a variety of inquiries from the public, various agencies, and contractors regarding budget procedures and information and other fiscal matters.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation, administration, and monitoring.
- Principles and practices of program analysis and revenue forecasting.
- Accounting theory, principles and procedures and their application to a variety of accounts, transactions, and problems in a municipal government.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of governmental accounting.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Manage and coordinate the work of professional, technical, and clerical personnel.
- Interpret and apply pertinent federal, State, and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Analyze and interpret fiscal accounting records and prepare accurate and complete financial reports.
- Develop and implement accounting system modifications.
- Analyze and interpret financial and accounting records.
- Prepare a variety of complex financial statements, reports and analyses.
- Examine and verify a wide variety of financial documents and reports.
- Conduct sound audits of financial records.
- Remain current in emerging office methods, practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Prepare staff reports for the Finance Director for City Council meetings.
- Assist technical, clerical and professional staff in the more complex aspects of accounting procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including City officials and the general public.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Three years of professional governmental accounting experience in a public agency in the State of California.
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance or a related field.
The Recruitment & Selection Process
1. Applications are due by 5:00 P.M. on Monday, June 6, 2022. Applicants must submit a completed City of Vallejo online application, including all responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire (Resume/Cover Letter Optional), by the posted deadline in order to be considered.
NOTE: If you have problems creating a user account, obtaining your already created account information, or submitting your online application, please contact governmentjobs.com applicant support directly at 855-524-5627. City of Vallejo staff are unable to assist with these issues.
2. Applications will be screened for overall qualifications the week of June 6, 2022.
3. Applicants who are found to be the best qualified will be invited to participate in an online skills assessment the week of June 13, 2022. The most qualified applicants from the online skills assessment will have their supplemental responses scored by subject matter experts.
4. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their supplemental responses scored by subject matter experts the week of June 20, 2022. The most qualified applicants from the scoring of the supplemental questions will be invited for an Oral Panel Interview.
5. Oral Panel Interviews are tentatively scheduled to take place the week of July 4, 2022. Oral Panel Interviews are weighted at 100% of the candidates’ score. Candidates must achieve a minimum passing score of 70%. Those achieving 70% or higher will be placed on the Register of Eligibles (eligible list) and may be considered to fill positions for up to one year.
The City reserves the right to limit the number of candidates to those determined to be best qualified based upon all requested application materials, including training and experience, current resume, and responses to supplemental questions.
6. Candidates placed on the Register of Eligibles (eligible list) will be referred to the department for final interviews based on their performance in the exam. The number of candidates referred for a hiring interview is at the discretion of the hiring department.
The City of Vallejo is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application, assessment or selection process may contact the Human Resources Department to request an accommodation. Please contact Juliann Indara at (707) 648-4378 or send an email to: email@example.com no later than June 6, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
PRIOR TO HIRE
The selected candidate will be required to: 1) Submit to reference checks 2) Submit to and successfully pass a pre-employment background check, including fingerprint check. 3) Successfully complete a job-related pre-placement medical exam. 4) Provide proof of legal right to work in the United States.
Disaster Service Workers - All City of Vallejo ("City") employees are designated Disaster Service Workers ("DSW") by state law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all DSW-related training as assigned and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Veteran's Preference - Veteran's preference points will be applied in accordance with Civil Service Rule 24. A copy of the DD 214 form must be filed at time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) - The City of Vallejo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Vallejo to provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factors.
Note: The provisions in this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.