Helix Water District, La Mesa, CA is seeking an experienced Senior Accountant to join their finance and accounting team. Come work for an organization where people make the difference, where leaders appreciate your contributions and talents and where employees develop skills and abilities while working towards their career aspirations. Come work alongside others who are passionate about their profession and care about the quality of their work. We would love for you to consider joining our team!
The Senior Accountant is an exempt, advanced journey-level professional classification who reports to the Finance Manager. This position performs professional accounting duties in the analysis, preparation and maintenance of financial records and reports for various district accounts and funds; and performs related duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have training and experience substantially equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with a major in accounting, or a closely related field. At least six years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience. The individual will be collaborative, flexible, resourceful and a team player with strong customer service skills.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Maintains, evaluates and updates the district's investments; maintains cash flow spreadsheet; makes necessary cash transfer investments and reconciliations to appropriate accounts.
- Plans and manages special projects and studies such as special audits, bond issues, annual cost studies, water rates study and annual budget; implements computer program enhancements; analyzes and implements improvements to existing internal controls, work practices, policies and procedures.
- Coordinates year-end audit process for the entire district including preparing a Request for Proposal for independent audit services; evaluates proposals and recommends CPA firm to the board.
- Analyzes formulas and recommends appropriate changes to contracts and agreements with other agencies for services such as sewer billing and treated water laboratory analyses.
- Reviews monthly budget report; researches and analyzes variances between budget figures and expenditures.
- Conducts board presentations regarding accounting and financial matters.
For more information about Helix Water District and a complete job description please visit hwd.com.
- To be considered for the Senior Accountant, please visit our careers page at hwd.com to complete the online application and supplemental questionnaire. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the online application.
- All candidates who submit their application by August 10, 2020, will be notified by Friday, August 21, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. Applications received after August 10, 2020, will only be considered if the position is not filled.