The City of Council Bluffs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
An employee in this class is responsible for managing the annual external reporting and external audit including the underlying accounting and controls. In addition, the employee is responsible for managing the accounts payable function and is a champion of continuous process improvement. The employee provides financial guidance and support to other City departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates year-end close and the annual external audit according to professional standards and procedures including single point of contact with external auditors
- Manages the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for fiscal year end
- Manages the development of key budget areas, consolidation, and reporting of the Annual Operating Budget
- Manages accounts payable function and related reporting activity
- Provides financial guidance to other City departments
- Maintains effective communication and working relationships with City staff and independent auditors
- Conducts internal audits or reviews of procedures, as necessary, to maintain necessary level of internal control
- Provides governmental accounting guidance
- Initiates and leads financial process improvement efforts
- Acts as functional owner of the general ledger and accounts payable systems
- Manages other key financial specialty areas including Tax Incremental Financing (TIF) and the Annual Financial Report (AFR)
- Performs balance sheet and fund reconciliations
- Manages the comprehensive record of the City’s fixed assets
- Regular and predictable attendance is required
- Other duties as assigned
- Directly supervises several employees within the Finance Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or Finance
- Seven plus (7+) years of broad financial experience with four (4) years of supervisory experience
- Two (2) years of audit experience, preferred
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), preferred
- Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) attainment/interest, preferred
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and see, talk, and hear.
- The work environment is an office setting that is customer facing, with periods of very busy and relatively quiet cycles.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and fund accounting
- Considerable knowledge of auditing practices and procedures with a proven track record of improving financial processes/tools/technology
- Familiarity with the Governmental Accounting, Auditing, and Financial Reporting (GAAFR) manual and pronouncements of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Working knowledge of enterprise accounting systems
- Ability to analyze and organize data in support of assertions or conclusions
- Effective communication skills both orally and written
- Professional curiosity and desire to learn
- Ability to implement complex accounting guidance
Please visit the City’s Employment Opportunities page to apply for this position. The application deadline is August 20, 2020.
The City’s Employment Opportunities page can be found at the following link: https://mss.councilbluffs-ia.gov/MSS/employmentopportunities/default.aspx