Few careers allow you to challenge yourself professionally while you give back to meaningful individuals. Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) manages retirement and healthcare plans for nearly 1.6 million public education professionals and we are growing. That growth means adding to talented teams who are dedicated to keeping the Trust financially healthy for a long time to come.
- Financial Examiner VI/1110/B27
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Financial Analysis and Consulting
- Serves as TRS in-house expert on Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) reporting requirements, especially investments and implementation of GASB standards.
- Participates in the review and analysis of outsourced accounting function and in-house accounting systems to ensure conformance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements, and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) statements.
- Develops and implements recommendations to leadership on the validation and analysis of technical accounting reports.
- Evaluates current and proposed TRS investment accounting treatments for compliance with GAAP and GASB and recommends changes and additions.
- Oversees or performs the analysis, interpretation, and recording of investment financial data in agency accounting systems to ensure appropriate accounting treatment.
- Coordinates with the TRS custodian bank on all investment reporting issues.
- Leads or participates in the development or revision of investment accounting policies, processes, procedures, and systems.
- Provides training and technical assistance to agency staff on accounting policies, procedures, processes, systems, and standards, especially concerning GASB requirements and OPEB accounting treatment.
- Participates on investment and accounting related committees and special projects as assigned, including assisting with CAPPS, outsourced accounting function, and other system implementation efforts.
Accounting and Reconciliation
- Oversees and/or prepares monthly and annual reconciliations between the agency general ledger and custodian sub ledgers, and the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS).
- Conducts research as needed to resolve reconciliation discrepancies.
- Oversees and/or prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements with schedules and exhibits, and periodic and special management reports regarding accounting and fiscal activities.
- Performs a lead role in the preparation of the TRS Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, including preparing or reviewing completed document for consistency of presentation and compliance with applicable standards.
- Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, or a related business field.
- Six (6) years of full-time accounting, financial analysis, audit or related experience requiring compilation, reconciliation, and/or analysis of detailed financial information
- Three (3) years of experience interpreting and implementing GASB and FASB pronouncements, including analyzing, reconciling, and reporting on investment data.
- Two (2) years of management experience.
- Experience may be concurrent.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in good standing.