Oversee major functions of the City’s financial position with primary responsibility for Debt, Cash Management and Investment activities. This position works under the general supervision of the Deputy Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for the management of the City’s Debt Portfolio and Cash and Investment management functions. Work includes supervision of several professional, paraprofessional and clerical personnel involved in diverse finance related responsibilities. The Chief of Treasury, Debt & Investments exercises considerable initiative with wide latitude for independent judgment and is expected to resolve problems of a professional and technical nature. Responsibilities include evaluation and development of recommendations to improve Finance and Citywide administration, procedures, policies, and programs.
- Conducts, directs and participates in major projects to define financial policy for the City. Acts in a financial advisory role in the development of policies and procedures tied to the City Charter and City Ordinances as it relates to cash, investments and debt
- Development of organizational structure to manage functional operations and activities
- Responsible for forecast development for the City of Atlanta’s financial position incorporating citywide financial goals and objectives in support of the City’s budget
- Responsible for assistance with administration of the City’s Bond Program through the planning and coordination of Bond sales
- Key contributor to strategic planning for debt structuring and issuance, and ongoing portfolio management; provides guidance and leadership in the development of debt policies, capital improvement plans and debt capacity studies. Make recommendations that identify long term instruments: general obligation bonds, revenue bonds, obligations issued through state level authorities, and obligations that do not “formally” constitute debt, such as lease purchase agreements and appropriation backed securities, such as Certificates of Participation (COPS). Evaluate alternatives that combine various features of the securities listed above, such as direct bank loans, limited public and private offerings
- Responsible for the management of outside consultants and agencies, including bond counsel, rating services, investment bankers and financial advisors
- Develop organizational structure to identify specialized areas and provide direction for training and development of staff
- Makes presentations to the Atlanta City Council and/or the public as the need arises
- Responsible for creating an environment of continuous operations improvement, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Professional standards including Governmental Accounting and Financial Reporting Standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards
- Municipal Finance administration cost accounting principles and practices and investment theory
- Investment Fund Management, bond sales and debt management and administration
- Federal, state and municipal laws, statutes, ordinances, regulations and policies
- Set forth desired objectives, develop procedures, and propose changes in existing methods
- Plan, organize and direct fiscal and management control functions
- Direct the planning, organization, and implementation of overall procedures for debt, cash and investment management
- Analyze, interpret and report research findings, recommendations and actions on complex financial, governmental and economic data
- Perform a broad range of supervisory responsibilities over others
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or closely related degree from an accredited institution; advanced degree preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Certification such as Certified Treasury Professional, Financial Investment Manager, Certified Public Accountant, Certified Management Accountant desirable.
- Sufficient leadership experience in financial management.
- Sufficient supervisory experience.
- Do you have a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or closely-related field?
- Please list all degrees and certifications you possess include name of institution.
- Describe your experience in portfolio management, financial management, debt structuring and issuance, and planning and coordination of bond sales
- Summarize highlights of your work that best demonstrates your ability to become the Treasury, Debt and Investments Chief for the City of Atlanta.