ERP Implementation and Technology Governance
Work for an organization that is planning an ERP implementation or anticipates being involved in an ERP implementation in the future
Field of Study
ERP and Technology
Offered Both as Group-Live Class and E-Learning Opportunity
16 (Group-Live) / 13 (E-Learning)
An ERP system implementation project can be one of the most invigorating, challenging, and frustrating projects government staff can undertake. Participants will learn the different approaches ERP companies use to install systems. Instructors will break down and examine the ERP implementation process from its pre- to post-implementation phases. Customer and vendor expectations will be emphasized and participants will learn how to balance scope, resources, costs and other constraints, and how to manage schedule and work variation. Participants will also learn about factors for successful implementations, including implementation readiness, communications, training, change management, and post-implementation support.
NOTE: This class is only available for employees of state and local governments. ERP vendors, consultants, and other private sector representatives are not eligible.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should be able to:
- Understand common approaches to ERP implementation
- Learn how SaaS software has changed the approach to ERP implementation
- Learn how to develop a governance structure for your project
- Realize the importance of starting early with business process improvement efforts
- Identify major risks facing all ERP projects and how to mitigate each
- Understand the importance of design documentation
- Determine the best way to discuss interfaces, data conversions, workflow, and reports
- Learn how ERP projects use an iterative process for configuring and testing
- Learn how to build and manage a testing plan
- Learn how to plan end-user training
- Identify strategies for managing the system after go-live
Schedule and Sample Agenda
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, GFOA has cancelled all Group-Live training events through September 2021.
This course is taught by GFOA staff from the Research and Consulting Center. Each instructors has experience working with different types of organizations and brings lessons learned, practical examples, and templates/tools from GFOA's experience assisting hundreds of other local governments with ERP implementation. Instructors are not affiliated with any software vendors.