Fairfax County seeks a dynamic audit manager with a broad perspective to provide confidential, accurate information, unbiased and objective advice to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors in its oversight of county programs. Under the guidance and direction of the Board of Supervisors, the Auditor conducts performance reviews of county agencies, operations or county-funded programs to ascertain that appropriated funds are expended for the purposes for which they were intended. They review and evaluate the effectiveness of agencies and programs; proactively or in response to a Board request, provide recommendations and complete special studies for the improvement of county operations and service delivery; and supervise a small staff of auditors. The auditor provides assistance to the Audit Committee.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of auditing standards, procedures, techniques and control;
- Extensive knowledge of management principles, methods, and practices;
- Extensive knowledge of investigative methods and practices;
- Extensive knowledge of data extraction and analysis software tools;
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex data and draw sound conclusions;
- Ability to work independently within established policies, procedures, and guidelines;
- Ability to plan work, develop strategies, and supervise multiple assignments;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to effectively use personal computers and common software, i.e., word processing, spreadsheet, flowcharting;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to make oral presentations to the Board of Supervisors, department management, other departments, or the public;
- Ability to manage professional and paraprofessional employees including coaching, counseling, training, and evaluation.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
- A bachelor’s degree in finance, public administration, economics, computer science, management information or business administration from an accredited university or college; plus four years of increasingly responsible experience in auditing, operations evaluation and analysis or related function.
- At least two years of experience must have been at the supervisory level.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Not applicable
- A master’s degree in a related field. Six years of increasingly responsible managerial experience in a medium to large local government or the private sector. Experience working with elected officials and executive-level management. Proven ability to develop, implement and conclude audits and investigations. Proven ability in relationship building; and the ability to analyze and interpret fiscal and program data, present findings, and make recommendations.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- Due to the scope and responsibilities associated with the position, the appointee must be available and willing to work occasional evenings.
- The appointee to the position must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check and credit check.
- This position is generally sedentary and performed in a normal office setting. May require lifting up to 10 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.