Performs complex advanced technical work overseeing the day-to-day operations of the agency's finance, accounting and procurement activities, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work involves setting policies and goals under the general direction of the Director of Finance.
- Manages daily operations of the agency's finance department and accounting activities including monthly bank reconciliations and fund transfers to include purchase requests, accounts receivable, accounts payable, journal entry review & approval and the general ledger.
- Works with the Director of Finance to manage the annual Financial and Single Audit, month-end, year-end and quarterly reporting requirements include documents, federally required forms, state and federal tax reports and grant reporting.
- Assists in the management and preparation of the annual budget including completion of all Grant Accountability and Transparency Act (GATA) documents
- Reviews payroll processing.
- Serves as liaison to outside auditors.
- Manages grant financial activity; performs appropriate reviews of Federal filings and required reporting.
- Assists in the development and preparation of monthly Board Reports.
- Leads the development, improvement, and documentation of internal accounting procedures; ensures compliance of contracting activities with Federal and State regulations and other grant provision requirements.
- Reviews administrative, analytical, and coordination efforts for the CMAP Unified Work Program (UWP) Committee, including reviewing of invoice vouchers.
- Reviews annual reporting and efforts related to legacy multifamily program of Energy Impact Illinois; attends check-ins with appropriate regulatory agencies, when needed.
- Provides oversight on contract management and guidance for resolutions to ongoing finance and contract related issues.
- Assists in the implementation of the Agencies Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software
- Reviews all contracting activities, including development of RFP’s, RFI’s and RFQ’s; Inter-Governmental Agreements; and ensuring all contracting activities comply with Federal and State requirements, as well as other grant provisions
- Coordinate with Director of Finance to create professional development plans for all staff to maximize performance within the Agency.
- Other duties as necessary
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered)
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or related field with five plus years of experience in accounting or finance in the Governmental realm. Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience supervising a team
- Proficiency in MS Office products
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES including competencies that may be representative, but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Thorough knowledge of general laws and administrative policies governing financial practices and procedure including GAAP, GASB Pronouncements, and the Code of Federal Regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting, budgeting in government, developing internal controls and purchasing systems.
- Ability to communicate technical financial ideas effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to evaluate complex financial systems and efficiently formulate and install accounting methods, procedures, forms and records; ability to prepare informative financial reports.
- Ability to develop long range financial plans
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the organization.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES AND COORDINATION required to perform the functions of this job.
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is our region’s comprehensive planning organization. The agency and its partners are implementing ON TO 2050, a long-range plan to help the seven counties and 284 communities of northeastern Illinois implement strategies that address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See cmap.illinois.gov/about for more information on the agency’s vision and core values.
CMAP is always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team. If you think you are ready to be a part of an exciting team, then we encourage you to continue with this applicant friendly, online job application! This position will remain open until filled.
- Certifications/Licenses and Association Dues
- Deferred Compensation (457 Plan)
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Parental Leave
- Personal Days/Floating Holidays
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Sick Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation Leave
- Vision Insurance