Accounting and Financial Reporting
Accounting for Pensions and Other Postemployment Benefits
July 27, 2023GFOA Training Center
203 N LaSalle Street, Suite 2700
- Field of Study: Accounting (Governmental)
- Credits: 8.00
- Prerequisite: Experience preparing or auditing government financial statements that offer PEB or similar.
- Status: This event has availability.
The seminar is designed to equip participants with a solid working knowledge of accounting and financial reporting for pensions, other postemployment benefits (OPEB), and termination benefits. It also offers practical guidance on how to prepare an annual comprehensive financial report for a public employee retirement system (PERS).
Who Will Benefit: CFO/Finance Director, Controller, Accountant, Auditor
- Those who successfully complete the seminar should be able to:
- Distinguish pension benefits from OPEB
- Distinguish postemployment benefits from termination benefits
- Identify each of the different types of pension and OPEB arrangements
- Understand the appropriate accounting and financial reporting for employers in each type of arrangement
- Describe the basic elements of an actuarial valuation
- Identify the five major sections of a PERS annual comprehensive financial report and the contents of each
- Determine the appropriate measure of cost for termination benefits.
- Member Price: $400.50
- Non-member Price: $598.40