June 28, 2023
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. CT
June 29, 2023
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. CTHyatt Centric French Quarter
800 Iberville Street
New Orleans, Louisiana
- Field of Study: Finance
- Credits: 16.00
- Prerequisite: Fundamentals of Local Government Budgeting, Budget Analyst Training Academy, or past experience
- Status: This event has availability.
The budget process is not simply an exercise in balancing revenues and expenses. Rather, it requires local government leaders to make a series of decisions about topics such as:
- What are the most pressing problems facing the community and what services and programs can we offer to address these problems?
- What is the best way to raise revenue to fund services and programs?
- Which programs should receive increased funding and which should not?
This kind of decision-making is messy. It’s often done by groups, so there are conflicting points of view. It’s usually time constrained, so there isn’t time to consider everything. There is always uncertainty--usually more than we realize. And it’s done by humans, so it’s fraught with bias and inconsistency.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to become a “decision architect” and design a better budget decision-making environment for your organization.
Who Will Benefit: Government finance professionals involved in the creation of an organizational budget.
- Understand the difference between bias and noise and how they can lead to sub-optimal decision-making
- Identify cognitive biases that can negatively impact budget decisions
- Learn skills to help decision-makers see a wider option set, test assumptions and deal with uncertainty, and choose the highest-value options
- Learn how to communicate numbers more effectively
- Understand why it is important to nurture stakeholders’ trust in decision-making processes
- Learn how to instill trust in budget decision-making processes
- Member Price: $705.00
- Non-member Price: $960.00