About the Department of Finance
The Department of Finance manages the city’s investing, fiscal analysis, budgeting, debt and asset management, tax assessment and collection, and accounting functions as well as establishing, maintaining and enforcing fiscal policies, practices and procedures for the entire City and County of Denver. The Department commits to Denver residents the delivery of these services through a financial structure that mirrors the best practices of both the public and private sectors. This commitment promotes better service, enhanced performance measures, maximum accountability and improved business processes.
About the Controller’s Office
The Office of the Controller keeps the City's ledgers and books, manages payroll and accounts payable; establishes and enforces Citywide financial policies, procedures and internal controls; produces the financial reports including the annually audited financial statements of the City; and works with agencies to improve financial skills. The Controller's Office is a dynamic environment that seeks innovative ideas that promote effective, efficient, and accountable government while maintaining the highest level of integrity.
Diversity in the City
The City and County of Denver is committed to cultivating a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. This commitment is woven into our values and belief that we are strongest when we embrace and celebrate our differences. We aim to have employees who are as diverse as our residents, with different perspectives and unique ways of thinking. If you share these values and our enthusiasm for equity, we encourage you to apply to join our team.
The Controller's Office is seeking an Accounting Specialist to serve within the Accounting and Financial Reporting Division. As the Accounting Specialist, you will be responsible for assisting in the preparation of the City’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), which includes overseeing the preparation of various financial statements such as balance sheets, revenue and cash flow statements, net position and activity statements, the preparation of workpapers on capital assets, investments and debt positions, the preparation of supplemental and statistical schedules, researching, compiling and calculating financial data.
Additionally, as an Accounting Specialist, you can expect to:
- Work directly with external auditors to provide information and reports
- Work with client groups to ensure financial statements and activities are accurate
- Research and implement GASB pronouncements
- Ensure operational units within the Controller’s Office are in compliance with reporting requirements and maintains fiscal accountability with regard to rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Design and create specialized financial reports for the Department of Finance as well as other city departments using our financial systems
- Design and direct special projects with regard to financial systems that targets accounting transactions, researches and analyzes accounting issues, tests and evaluates reporting for outcomes and efficiencies, streamlines processes, establishes processes and protocols, performs complex financial calculations, and creates reports for management review
- Support special initiatives and programs within the Controller’s Office and may support multiple client groups outside of the organization or conduct special projects with citywide impact
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested
We are looking for someone with some or all of the following skills and experience:
- Experience in preparing the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report
- Government accounting experience
- Certified Public Accountant certification
- Advanced Excel experience
- Workday Financials experience
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- Three (3) years of full performance, professional level experience analyzing accounting functions, preparing specialized financial reports and statements, and managing accounting programs and financial systems.
- No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements.