General Services Manager
The General Services Manager is responsible for supervising the Assistant Purchasing Agent and the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor. Work involves planning, organizing and managing city-wide purchasing, formal solicitations, policies and procedures as well as managing the Facility Maintenance and Janitorial Services division. Requires a high level of responsibility, training, experience and competence. Work is performed under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Duties & Required Qualifications
- Manage the Assistant Purchasing Agent and the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor.
- Design and implement a quality check and approval process for purchasing documents.
- Assist vendor community in providing goods and services to the City by assisting with registration on City’s bid list, and with completion of required forms.
- Communicate with City’s executive team, governing body and citizens to ensure accountability and transparency.
- Utilize strong leadership and collaborative skills in managing complex interactions with customers, vendors, and team members. Serve as a resource for administration of complex contracts, long term agreements and procurement oversight.
- Supervise work of the division staff, including interviewing, hiring, and training employees.
- Appraise performance of direct reports, reward and discipline employees, address complaints and resolve problems.
- Direct and coordinate activities of division personnel by assigning responsibilities and tasks, monitoring work distribution, scheduling delivery of work products and training.
- Provide guidance and direction to staff by defining goals and objectives and establish standards and service level expectations.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
Facility Maintenance and Janitorial Services
- Develop and implement work procedures and production standards which include maintenance and repair practices to ensure that facility maintenance needs are addressed in a time and cost-effective manner.
- Provide deployment of staff and/or vendors for repairs, renovation and maintenance of all City facilities.
- Coordinate and monitor selected maintenance contracts for City systems such as HVAC and generators.
- Maintain ticketing and/or work order system for logging and scheduling of jobs.
- Receive and responds to inquiries and complaints.
- Prepare budget and approve divisional expenditures.
- Sustain an effective working relationship with employees and encourage interdepartmental cooperation.
- Provide guidance and direction to staff by defining goals and objectives and by establishing standards and service level expectations.
- Serve as a Resource Manager under the City’s Emergency Management Plan.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) from an accredited college or university, AND, a minimum of three years related experience in governmental purchasing.
- High school graduate or its equivalent, AND, a minimum of five years of related experience in governmental purchasing.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid Driver’s License from a state in the U.S. (Occasional driving time in employee’s personal vehicle may be necessary, with gas reimbursement per state guidelines.)
- A nationally recognized Purchasing Association Certification (e.g., Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM)), or the ability to obtain one within 18-months of employment.
Preferred Education and Certifications
- Five or more years of related experience in governmental purchasing.
- Five or more years of supervising direct reports.
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) Certification from ISM, or an equivalent certification.
- Texas Driver’s License or ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license within 90 days per state law.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Texas Local Government Code (Section 271), Texas Open Meetings Act, Public Information Act,
- Municipal Bid processes and procedures.
- Contract administration and negotiation principles. Purchasing records, reports and documentation.
- Supervisory principles, practices, and methods. Ability to prioritize and coordinate work assignments and projects to meet required deadlines.\
- Must have excellent communication skills, both verbally and written, must be strong in computer skills.
- Must possess a strong understanding of the need for a high level of professional decorum and have the ability to work independently in absence of specific instruction or supervision.
- Preparing, negotiating, and administering supplier contracts. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with public officials, superiors, subordinates and the public.
Physical Demands & Additional Information
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle items; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop and kneel; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift or move 10 lbs. with regularity.