Senior Budget Analyst
Position Title: Senior Budget Analyst
Location: St. Philip Street, Charleston, SC
Status: Established Position: Full-time
Salary Range: $67,579.20 ($32.49/hr) –$104,748.80 ($50.36/hr)
Department: Executive Office
Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (Flexible)
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED THROUGH SUNDAY, MARCH 26, 2023.
APPLY ONLINE: WWW.CHARLESTONWATER.COM
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
This position develops models and employs varied methods of mathematical and statistical analyses to determine the budget impact of proposed financial initiatives. Based on the outcomes of the analysis this position advises and makes recommendations to senior management regarding the economic, financial and accounting implications of proposed operational strategies or new projects. This position works directly under the Budget Manager.
- Monitor and analyze corporate operations & maintenance, capital, revenue budgets.
- Recommend & develop reports & analyses related to the impact of budgetary decisions.
- Assist with the development, coordination & preparation of the annual budget.
- Performs administrative, accounting, financial and mathematical support to aid in planning and directing the financial program.
- Analyzes quantitative and qualitative data, as well as interprets related data from multiple sources.
- Prepare regular and technical financial studies and reports.
- Complete the Monthly Financial Reports and all associated supporting documentation.
- Serve as back-up in the absence of the Budget Manager on routine matters.
- Assists and participates with the Executive Officers, bond counsel and bond underwriters in preparation of the revenue bond documents and presentations for the Commissioners, City Council and the rating agencies.
- Develops and implements methods for financial analysis by utility, forecasting revenues and expenditures.
- Participates in the implementation of the Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) and customer service computer systems as it relates to financial reporting topics including detailed testing of new computer applications, preparation of Users Guides & Tailored Procedure Documents (TPD).
- Works as an ERP Subject Matter Expert (SME) to assist Microsoft Dynamics 365 users in resolving issues with requisitions, budgets & budget related transactions.
- Develops reports using Microsoft Dynamics 365’s Financial Reporter and Power Business Intelligence
- Prepares all supporting documentation for the rate analyses and annual updates using a utility Rate Model for financial planning, forecasts & rate studies.
- Performs analytical studies as required to study the financial and economic implications of varied business strategies using financial models, interprets results and advises management.
- Financial research and development.
- Develops and maintains policies as required; provides financial technical assistance and troubleshooting to other departments.
- Regular attendance is required.
- Job performance must conform to all CWS policies and procedures.
- Specific knowledge of CWS Environmental Management System Policy and Procedures
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements, Activities, and Working Conditions
- Sedentary work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and /or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Objects greater than 50 lbs require a two-person operation.
- Ability to effectively use personal computers with printer; telephone; calculator; copy machine; fax machine; two-way radio; microfiche with reader and printer; and assigned software.
- Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of written and oral communications with internal and external customers and staff.
- Ability to identify, reach and handle documents as required to perform the essential job functions and to maintain an accurate record keeping system.
- Ability to perform tasks during extended periods while seated or standing.
Education and/or Experience
- B. S. degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration with concentration in Accounting or Finance and four (4) years’ experience, preferable in the utility industry or a combination of education and experience in Accounting to equal ten (10) years.
- Prior experience with ERP financial software systems including the use of Microsoft’s Power Business Intelligence (Power BI) software.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, rate model software, and statistical software.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and finance concepts.
- Knowledge of utility accounting practices.
- Advanced personal computer skills are required to fully utilize available software.
- Knowledge of and strong back ground in problem solving, using financial theories, mathematics and formulas.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- Prior work record indicating dependability and conscientiousness.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
There are no special designations required for this position.
- OSHA and Departmental safety training as required.
- Skills Based Training.
- Standard Operating Instruction (SOI) per department requirements.
- ISO 14001 standards for department and company.
See Department Competency and Training Matrix for this position.
Potential Career Path:
ELIGIBILITY FOR PROMOTION TO VARIOUS POSITIONS THROUGHOUT THE COMMISSION DEPENDS UPON INDIVIDUAL QUALIFICATIONS, AND NOTED JOB PROGRESSIONS ARE NO GUARANTEE OF CAREER PATH TO THESE OR ANY OTHER JOB(S) AT THE COMMISSION.