Buffalo Grove, IL (pop. 41,226) The Village of Buffalo Grove is a very progressive, family-oriented community located in both Cook and Lake Counties, just 32 miles northwest of downtown Chicago. A home rule, AAA rated community that covers 9.3 square miles, the Village is seeking a highly collaborative local government finance professional to serve as its next Director of Finance and General Services. The previous director recently left after 26 years of service with the Village to become the Village Manager in a nearby community.
The Director of Finance and General Services is a key member of the Village Manager’s executive team participating in the development and implementation of many of the Village’s innovative, regional efforts including the establishment of a suburban liability insurance pool, the management of trends in the health care pool and leadership positions in a regional dispatch organization.
The Village has an annual budget of $78 million (all funds – operating funds are $38 million) 205 full time and 60 part time employees allocated across a full-service municipality including a golf operation. The Village is embarking on $25 million of water and sewer infrastructure work over the next 5 years along with the potential to renovate and/or replace public facilities.
The Finance and General Services Director is appointed by the Village Manager. In addition to the Director, the department has 8 full time employees including a Deputy Director, an Accountant (CPA), utility billing and purchasing agent. Also, of note:
• The Finance Director is an integral part of the executive management team participating in key decisions regarding economic development, capital planning and development, long and short-term revenue and expenditure strategies, budget development and administration, and all policies affecting the overall fiscal health of the Village.
• Candidates must be creative and innovative, with a willingness to engage in regional efforts, process improvement and a desire to think about local government service delivery and local government financing in new and progressive ways.
• The Village is in the second year of program-based budgeting and annually receives the GFOA Budget Award and CAFR Award.
• Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in finance, public policy, public administration, business, or a related field. A CPA and/or master’s degree in public policy, public administration, finance or business administration is a plus.
• Candidates should have at least seven years of increasingly responsible experience in executive-level financial administration with a portion of that experience in the public sector.
• The successful candidate will be a highly collaborative, experienced executive with a proven track record in progressive fiscal management, with the ability to work closely with elected and appointed officials and department heads on the Village’s financial strategies. The Village of Buffalo Grove offers a competitive benefits’ package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Residency in the Village of Buffalo Grove is not required.
Salary: $165,000 +/- DOQ. Candidates should apply electronically no later than August 23, 2019 with resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 work related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Heidi Voorhees, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road #130 Northbrook, IL 60062 Tel: 847-380-3240.