Department of Education Information
Below are links to find information on the various Department of Education COVID-19 resources available for states, communities, educators, and families. In particular, there is information on relief funding provided through various measures passed by Congress in 2020 and 2021.
Funding Programs Available
- Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Fund - Congress set aside significant support for elementary and secondary schools through various supplemental bills including: $13.2B in the CARES Act, $54.3B in the CRRSA, and $122B in ARPA.
- Governors' Emergency Education Relief (GEER) Fund - In the various relief measures, Congress provided funding that would be awarded to States based on a legislatively established formula. The funding provided includes: $31B in the CARES Act and $4B in the CRRSA.
- Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) - To support institutions of higher education to serve students and ensure learning continued during the COVID-19 pandemic, Congress provided funding to include: $14B in the CARES Act, $21.2B in the CRRSAA, and $39.6B in ARPA
Other Resources from Department of Ed
- Summary of education relief under the CARES Act
- Summary of education relief under the American Rescue Plan
- Strategies to use ARPA funds to address lost instructional time
- Information on Waivers and Flexibility
- Department of Ed compilation of program FAQ and Responses