Summary Leads and directs accounting activities within the finance department of the organization by performing the following duties, personally or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs the operations of Finance Department, including financial records, budgets, computer systems, audits, investment portfolio, debt management, revenue forecasting, billing capital asset, financial analysis and reporting, internal controls, grant reporting, and ledger and account reconciliation’ monitors operations to assure compliance with state and federal financial management regulations, City policies and goals, and government accounting standards.
- Manages implementation and enforcement of financial policies and procedures, internal controls, best practices and sound accounting principles.
- Hires, trains, develops, and appraises staff effectively. Takes corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with City policy. Consults with Human Resources as appropriate. Serves as principal advisor and subject-matter expert on financial issues; exercise independent judgement within broad policy guidelines; evaluates and analyzes financial issues, interprets City policies and procedures, and advises on specialized areas of technical expertise.
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to financial management, investments, budget, and accounting.
- Directs internal audits involving review of accounting and administrative controls.
- Establishes system controls for new financial systems and develops procedures to improve existing systems.
- Coordinates preparation of external audit materials and external financial reporting.
- Directs the installation and maintenance of new accounting, inventory, property, and other related procedures and controls.
- Directs the preparation of financial documents including but not limited to, annual budget, capital improvement plan bond document, continuing disclosure and annual financial reports.
- Coordinates the annual independent audit of the City’s financial records and required by law. Direct the preparation of the annual Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Directs the management and reporting of the investment portfolio to ensure that state laws are adhered to and the investments are safe, liquid, and earning appropriate yield.
- Provide resources for research and technical assistance as needed. Make recommendations based on best practices or peer city experience.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education and/or Experience The position requires a Master’s degree (M.A.) and four years of related experience; or Bachelor’s degree with ten years of related experience. A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations Government Finance Officer Certification preferred.