Accountant IVs are responsible for diverse finance-related duties including accounting transactions, maintaining a comprehensive set of controls for a department's enterprise fund, coordination and preparation of annual financial reports, preparation of financial forecast utilized in the issuance of bonds, and providing technical guidance for the analysis and implementation of governmental accounting and financial reporting standards. Duties vary by department/division, but may consist of the reporting and coordination of bonded debt, oversight of daily public banking operations, development of cost allocation models, and monitoring data and transactions to ensure integrity.
Other duties may include the financial management of fixed assets, intergovernmental grant programs, cost accounting for operating budgets, capital improvement programs, accounts receivable, accounts payable, travel review, and payroll. Positions may also be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the City's financial system transactions and preparing various financial reports.
Currently, there are vacancies in the Finance Department’s FAR and ERP Divisions, and in the Controller’s office, however, his recruitment may be used by any department for any current or future vacancies over the life of the eligible list.
- Possess a working knowledge accounting theory, generally accepted principles and practices of municipal finance and personnel management.
- Five (5) years of professional professional level accounting experience, including at least one (1) year in a supervisory capacity.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business or public administration or a related degree.
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered
- The City job description can be found here. § All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Experience in tracking the financial side of capital projects including design pay requests, construction invoices, and other soft costs charged to projects.
- Experience in using financial computer applications such as the SAP financial management system, Oracle’s Unifier Capital Project Management System, or other related financial construction project management systems.
- Experience working on construction and capital improvement programs.
- Experience working with an Enterprise Fund budgeting and accounting.
- Experience working with federal grants.