Director of Finance
City of Georgetown Finance Department
Georgetown, South Carolina
Wage/Salary: Depending on experience & qualifications ($91,698.90 - $114,109.40)
Date Posted: Monday, April 18, 2022
Date Closing: Wednesday, May 18, 2022
URL for this job:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Plans, organizes, and supervises all programs and activities in the Finance Department with emphasis on developing and maintaining effective procedures and improving the City’s fiscal management system.
- Serves as the City’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and advises on various special projects.
- Establishes and maintains internal controls and financial control procedures to ensure the City’s
compliance with recognized accounting and reporting methods.
- Consults with and advises City Council and City Administrator concerning the City’s financial affairs, development of financial operating policies and procedures, and the City’s financial goals and objectives.
- Manages and directs the overall financial and general accounting operations, staff, and reporting for
- Coordinates the daily management and investment of all City funds, including determination of cash needs and forecasts and monitors the financial condition of the City.
- Directs the preparation and administration of the City’s annual budgets; reviews operating budgets
periodically to analyze trends affecting budget needs and monitors revenues and expenditures; performs appropriate cost control activities and ensures that departments’ budgets are not overspent beyond the City Council-appropriated expenditures.
- Develops and presents budget and financial information to City Council.
- Attends City Council, City Council Workshop, and Executive Cabinet Team meetings.
- Supervises and assists department staff in providing ongoing training and process improvements, interviews and selects new employees, handles employee problems, approves employee discipline and terminations, and recommends employee promotion, transfer, termination, and salary increases.
- Attends and conducts departmental staff meetings; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
- Develops and recommends short and long term capital improvement plans to keep the City’s infrastructure operating efficiently and cost effectively in consultation with department directors.
- Establishes and administers the finance department’s budget.
- Reviews and coordinates annual audit activities with external auditors and City staff; conducts periodic reviews of the City’s finances to detect and resolve discrepancies and other problems.
- Prepares a variety of studies, reports, and related information for decision-making purposes.
- Oversees the preparation of the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Assists with City-wide administrative initiatives and projects; makes recommendations regarding rate/fees changes, tax increases, changes in levels of services provided by the City, and other issues.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns, complaints, and requests for assistance from City personnel, elected officials, and citizens regarding general municipal financial matters.
- Creates reports and presents financial information and issues to external groups.
- Effectively communicates with various groups and individuals, both internally and externally.
- Performs other duties as required.