ABOUT THE POSITION:
The City of Gilroy is recruiting to fill the position of Finance Director. The goal of the Finance Department is to: provide timely and accurate financial information to city management, city council and the public and administer the city’s assets including cash and investments, in a prudent and responsible manner; and provide friendly and efficient utility billing services to the city’s water and waste water customers.
Under general direction of the City Administrator, operate, plan, organize and direct the fiscal affairs of the City; direct the services and functions of the Revenue, Purchasing, Treasury, Payroll, Utility Billing and General Accounting functions with responsibility for fiscal, budgetary, and other supportive services. Direct professional and technical personnel in the implementation of fiscal management programs.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have a broad knowledge base in the areas of financial planning and analysis, revenue projection, budgeting, financial reporting, public debt, and fund accounting.
- Understand that the role of the Finance Department in supporting the work of all other departments in the City.
- Be a forward thinking, open-minded professional that can ensure that the Gilroy Finance is efficient, accountable, and provide excellent service to the residents of Gilroy and anticipate the needs of operating departments.
- Possess in-depth financial analysis skills with the ability to accurately field questions and provide leadership and guidance on city finance matters.
- Have a strong aptitude for clear, concise, and direct communication, as well as the ability to succinctly summarize complex financial information.
- Have a leadership style that is characterized by integrity, ethical decision making, responsibility, collaboration, and customer service.
- Represent the Finance Department well and make effective presentations in public situations including City Council meetings and other community meetings.
- Be a skilled and organized administrator who will promote an atmosphere of teamwork and professional development.
- Have excellent project management knowledge and skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal communication skills and work style.
- Bring added value and expertise to the Senior Executive Team.
- Be committed to a long-term career in the public sector with a desire to implement new best practices within the city and department.
EXAMPLES OF FIRST YEAR PROJECTS:
- Lead the City’s Enterprise Resource Program implementation.
- Direct the preparation of the biennial budget process for Fiscal Year 2022 and Fiscal Year 2023.
- Conduct a Water and Wastewater rate analysis based on the City’s updated utility master plans.
- Develop and Implement City’s Financial System training program.
- Evaluate City’s long-term investment strategy.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or public administration.
- Seven (7) years of increasingly responsible work experience in governmental accounting and financial reporting including at least three (3) years of supervisory experience.Three (3) years of public accounting experience in the audits of local governments may be substituted for a portion of the required work experience.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a detailed background check for employment, including, but not limited to a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment and credit check.