Date Prepared: June 22, 2020
Department/Location: Finance/Accounting Department
FLSA Status: Exempt
Bargaining Unit: None
Classification: Essential: This position is an essential classification; employee may be required to report to duty during a declared hurricane or emergency.
Schedule: This position will normally work 40 hours / 5 days per week.
Supervision Exercised: Position requires strong supervisory/managerial skills over professional and clerical personnel in the areas of responsibility listed below.
Supervision Received: Position reports to the City Administrator or designee. Work is reviewed through audits, results achieved and personal observation.
General Purpose of the Position:
Highly responsible, detail-oriented administrative work managing the complex financial operations of the City, including accounting and financial reporting, oversight of investment managers, capital financing and debt service, revenue collection, purchasing, accounts payable, payroll, and utility billing.
The Finance Director is a ‘working manager’ and therefore must have a thorough, working knowledge of all finance and accounting-related operations of the City and its Departments in order to effectively manage, train, organize, supervise and evaluate all Finance Department operations and personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure City assets are effectively managed, recorded and safeguarded including banking, cash/investment management and treasury responsibilities, and fixed asset controls; coordinate all cash receipts and disbursements.
- Maintain effective relationships with the City’s investment advisors in conjunction with the City Investment Policy.
- Prepare annual financial statements and reports in conformance with GAAP and the rules of the Auditor General for examination by external auditors, including the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and Single Audit.
- Thoroughly understand and implement all GASB pronouncements.
- Coordinate annual review processes including the external audit, OPEB and insurance actuarial reports.
- Lead the bond issuance process for capital financing and refunding issues, meet bond compliance requirements, and maintain relationships with rating services (i.e. Fitch, Moody’s).
- Provide technical assistance and advice to Department Directors and City Administrator regarding financial planning, reporting and policies
- Coordinate the financial aspects of grant administration and franchise agreements.
- Conduct long-range planning, forecasting, and monitoring of City financial interests to ensure fiscal well-being.
- Prepare and administer the Finance Department budget.
- Maintain records in accordance with state and city policy for retention, retrieval and public record; fully responsible for financial record management within the City’s document management system (Laserfiche) and for the City’s financial disaster recovery program.
- Develop and implement special projects that contribute to or affect the financial systems of the City.
- Represent the City as requested on all financial matters.
- Perform related work as required and directed by City Administrator or designee.
Skills and Physical Abilities Required:
- Position requires a self-directed individual with extensive knowledge of complex, highly technical accounting and finance concepts including principles and practices applicable to governmental accounting, debt issuance, treasury management, procurement and self-insurance funds.
- Ability to manage a diverse group of operations and employees under the umbrella of financial operations.
- Ability to maintain the integrity of the financial management software (Munis).
- Ability to work in excess of the standard 40-hour work week if situations warrant.
- Ability to oversee the maintenance of numerous files, in a variety of formats, in a logical and organized manner; thorough understanding of records management and disaster recovery.
- Ability to analytically present ideas clearly and concisely, including public presentations on financial issues; exceptional attention to detail; professional business writing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to work in a ‘team’ environment to accomplish the many goals and objectives of the department.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and elected officials, co-workers and the public.
- Knowledge of the ordinances, policies and procedures of the City.
- Understanding of the organization, function and activities of municipal government.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements:
- Includes but is not limited to Microsoft Office Products; CAFR Online; Adobe Acrobat; Laserfiche document management system; Tyler Technologies “Munis” ERP system.
Education and Experience Required:
- Master’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration or similar field. Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in governmental accounting and finance, including at least five (5) years supervisory experience in local government financial administration. Possession of and ability to maintain a Florida Driver’s License.
- Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO), Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) accreditations; Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
** Note: At the discretion of the City Administrator, a comparable amount of training or experience may be substituted for the above qualifications.
Indoors in an office environment.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. Duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.