The successful candidate for this role is someone who enjoys communicating with coworkers all over the City. This individual will be primarily focusing on the general fund of the City, which handles activity, revenue, and expenses for services across the entire City. From handling questions with our Police and Fire Departments to assisting in revenue projections for our two large recreation centers, if you like the idea of having numerous avenues of activity this could be the ideal role for you.
Under specified supervision, performs professional level accounting functions for the City of Thornton, which may include recording and reporting complex financial transactions, reviewing accounting records, and preparing financial statements and reports.
Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from level I or, when filled from the outside, require previous and directly related experience.
Under general supervision, this is the entry-level class in the professional accounting series. Incumbents entering the class have limited related work experience. The Accountant I class is distinguished from level II by the performance of less than the full range of duties assigned to the II level. Incumbents are expected to exercise more independence and initiative as procedures and processes of assigned area of responsibility are learned.
- Under direction, this is the journey-level class in the professional accounting series and is distinguished from level I by the ability to perform the full range of duties with considerable independence and initiative and only occasional instruction or assistance.
- Under general direction, performs professional-level accounting functions for the city of Thornton, which may include recording and reporting complex financial transactions, and preparing financial statements and reports.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics.
The list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
- Performs a wide variety of complex and routine accounting duties.
- Maintains detailed financial records of enterprise, capital projects and other funds. Approves encumbrances and payments of capital funds ensuring compliance with contracts and budget authorizations.
- Assist with annual audit of capital assets, materials inventory, and cash audits.
- Prepares accounting entries for water rights, land, enterprise and other governmental capital assets.
- Posts, balances, and reconciles transactions in general ledger; prepares or reviews monthly financial statements.
- Prepares journal entries for land sales, land and asset dispositions, bond refunding, contributed capital, auctions, and other non-routine transactions.
- Prepares property tax entries, accruals, and the annual mill levy certification.
- Preparation of city debt service payments, applicable debt service schedules, Continuing Disclosure Statement and other financing transactions.
- Assists with annual budget process and annual audit of City financial records, preparing account reconciliations, year-end accounting entries, various schedules, and year-end close.
- Assists with the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Performs account research and analyses for other departments.
- May train or assign and review the work of other employees as directed. May perform back-up functions for supervisor as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university; one year of related experience. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university; two years of professional accounting experience, preferably in municipal government. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university; five years of professional accounting experience, preferably in public accounting and/or governmental accounting/finance. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. Certified Public Accountant license preferred but not required.
- A CPA designation is desired.
- May need the ability to travel to various locations in a timely manner as the job requires.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures and goals of the City of Thornton and the department.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of fund accounting.
- Knowledge of the general principles, methods, techniques, and practices of automated accounting.
- Skill in posting, balancing, and reconciling transactions in a general ledger.
- Skill in accurately performing complex mathematical computations.
- Ability to use standard office equipment, computer equipment and software including word processing, data base management, spreadsheet applications and electronic mail.
- Ability to listen well and communicate effectively orally and in writing with various audiences.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees, other agencies and the general public.
In addition to previous requirements:
- Knowledge of City of Thornton accounting, budgeting and bookkeeping policies, goals and procedures.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures and Governmental Accounting Standards Board statements and pronouncements.
- Skill in maintaining detailed financial records of enterprise, capital projects and other funds.
- Skill in reviewing and approving encumbrances and payments of capital funds ensuring compliance with contracts and budget authorizations.
- Skill in the use and operation of the City's automated financial systems.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise annual audits of fixed assets and materials inventories.
- Ability to prepare accounting entries for water rights, land, and other enterprise and general fixed assets.
- Ability to accurately prepare or review monthly financial statements.
- Ability to perform account research and analysis.
- Ability to perform internal financial audits.
- Ability to interpret, understand, and comply with ordinances, regulations, standards, and laws.
In addition to previous requirements:
- Knowledge of advanced accounting and auditing principles and practices.
- Ability to research and implement new accounting pronouncements, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Ability to handle complex projects with little to no supervision.
- Ability to prepare a variety of complex audits, financial statements, reports, and analysis.
- Ability to demonstrate consistent exercise of discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability to research, develop and lead formal and informal presentations and discussions with diverse groups.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee is required to reach, finger, grasp, talk, hear, and make repetitive motions. This position is mostly light work; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The employee is required to have close visual acuity.
Examinations may include but are not limited to application screening beyond minimum qualifications; written, oral, practical exercise or any combination thereof or other job related assessment deemed appropriate by Human Resources.
Your application will be used as a screening tool. Completeness and accuracy are important! Any false or untrue statements or material omissions in the application and related paperwork or during the selection process could disqualify you from consideration.
As a condition of employment, the city of Thornton conducts background investigations for all positions which may also include a review of credit report and/or driving record. A drug screen, physical, and/or psychological examination administered by a city-designated provider will be required for pre-determined positions.