JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for directing and managing the financial operations of the city.
Prepares financial statements, operating and capital budgets, and financial forecasts for Council and management. • Monitors all bank accounts and reconciles bank statements to the general ledger. • Supervises departmental employees. • Manages purchasing and bid processes. • Reviews accounts payable check runs; reviews chart of account coding. • Reconciles contract-related invoices for accuracy and obtains appropriate approvals for invoices. • Oversees and reviews process for bi-weekly payroll and payment of withholding taxes. • Reviews monthly, quarterly, and year-end payroll forms. • Reconciles balance sheet accounts. • Annual review of all financial policies. • Annual review of processes flowcharts to ensure segregation of duties among financial functions. • Compiles a quarterly financial statement report for the City Manager and Department Heads; provides weekly budget review reports to all Department Heads to monitor compliance with budget. • Presents quarterly financial report to Mayor and Council. • Prepares agenda items and presents information to Mayor and Council. • Prepares audit work papers and oversees the city’s audit process. • Manage the City’s debt schedule and debt payments. • Manages quarterly capital project reporting for Mayor, Council, and the community. • Maintains capital/fixed assets listing and records annual depreciation. • Manages the city’s chart of accounts. • Monitors general ledger postings monthly to ensure accuracy. • Provides backup assistance to the Budget Manager, Utility Billing Technician, Accounts Receivable Technician, and Accounts Payable Technician as needed. • Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of accounting and budgeting procedures, rules, and regulations. • Knowledge of computerizes systems for maintaining financial records. • Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures. • Knowledge of the operations of local area networks, databases, and computer software and hardware. • Knowledge of the city charter, ordinances, codes, policies, and procedures. • Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Outlook. • Skill in maintaining accurate records and preparing reports. • Skill in decision making. • Skill in performing mathematical calculations. Finance Director, Administration Page 2 • Skill in utilizing a computer, calculator, typewriter, facsimile machine, and copier. • Skill in oral and written communication.
The City Manager assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The work is reviewed through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
Guidelines include Local Government Uniform Chart of Accounts and Reporting Act, City of Flowery Branch Employee Handbook, IRS Publication 15 – Circular E Employer’s Tax Guide, Purchasing Policy and Procedures, Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Municipal Code, and city ordinances. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application. This position develops department guidelines.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
• The work consists of varied fiscal management and administrative duties. Unpredictability of daily issues and strict deadlines contribute to the complexity of the position. • The purpose of this position is to oversee the city’s finances. Success in this position helps ensure that the city continues to meet budgetary and operational goals in an efficient and effective manner.
• Contacts are typically with the City Manager, Department Heads, co-workers, city employees, utility customers, elected officials, the police department, auditor, sales person, and the public. • Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; and to resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light objects. • The work is typically performed in an office, library, or computer room.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:
This position has direct supervision over Budget Manager (1), Accounts Receivable Technician (1), Accounts Payable Technician (1), and Utility Billing Technician (1).
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field. • Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
PAY GRADE AND SCALE:
• Grade 23 • Scale 85,448 to $118,811, depending on experience.