2021 Hiring Ranges:
Hiring Range: $75,035.65 - $90,042.78
Full Pay Range: $75,035.65 - $105,049.91
The City of Greeley is accepting applications for Accountant III. This position is responsible for completing journal entries and analysis of assigned funds, assisting with the completion of the City's annual external audit, supporting the creation of the comprehensive annual financial report, providing other financial reporting, and completing regular accounting functions. The Accountant III position is a temporary position that will support the Finance Department for 12 to 18 months to allow for the full implementation of the City’s financial system.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Education:
- Bachelor degree in accounting, finance, or a related field gained through a 4-year accredited college/university.
- Extensive knowledge of governmental accounting practices to ensure that the work paper statements and all entries to assigned funds are done correctly.
- Ability to understand and implement GASB statements.
- Knowledge and application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Ability to compare and analyze a large volume of transactions by using accounting best practices to identify variances and corrections that need to be made to the financial ledgers.
- 5 years professional accounting experience.
- Experience with utilizing financial systems and data reporting tools.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks with varying deadlines while remaining organized.
- Able to work and be successful in a team environment.
- Review, analyze and reconcile fund and account activity in assigned funds monthly.
- Prepare highly complex journal entries and related supporting data to support financial transactions relating to assigned funds and communicate the impact of these transactions.
- Prepare and maintain supporting financial records and reports.
- Conduct audit of actual expenditures to ensure spending is within approval budget and revenues are on course to meet estimates for assigned funds.
- Ability to reconcile the general ledger cash account in assigned funds to the cash analysis spreadsheet monthly. This process includes the reconciliation of all subsystems posting cash entries in the general ledger to what was recorded in the balancing spreadsheet used for the bank reconciliation.
- Assist in preparation of the statements and schedules used in the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) for assigned funds in accordance with Governmental Accounting and Governmental Auditing Standards.
- Understanding of payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and purchasing functions to complete necessary accounting transactions.
- Remain current on governmental accounting policies, regulations and Governmental Accounting Standards Board statements.
- Answer questions regarding assigned funds and provide backup materials using existing procedures, policies, and transactions.
- Assist in review of year end work papers, entries, and financial statements. Assist external auditors with audit; this includes explanation for various accounting policies, procedures and specific questions relating to items recorded and reported in various funds.
- Perform analytical work that may involve departmental representatives at various levels in the organization.
- Update citywide financial performance measurements, report trends, and research variances.
- Experience in the public sector is preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant is preferred.
- This position may supervise a small team of accountants.