ABOUT THE POSITION:
The City of Gilroy is recruiting to fill the position of Accountant. The goal of the Finance Department is to: provide timely and accurate financial information to city management, city council and the public and administer the city’s assets including cash and investments, in a prudent and responsible manner; and provide friendly and efficient utility billing services to the city’s water and waste water customers.
Under general supervision of a Finance Manager, perform professional accounting work in the establishment, maintenance, and analysis of financial accounts and records; prepare a variety of financial and statistical reports; and perform related work as required. Accountant is a journey-level classification fully qualified and capable of independently performing the full range of accounting duties and can successfully complete more complex work and projects. Incumbents in this classification may provide training and guidance to less experienced employees.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Possess in-depth financial analysis skills with the ability to accurately field questions and provide guidance on city finance matters.
- Have a strong aptitude for clear, concise, and direct communication, as well as the ability to succinctly summarize complex financial information.
- Have a leadership style that is characterized by integrity, ethical decision making, responsibility, collaboration, and customer service.
- Have excellent project management knowledge and skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal communication skills and work style.
- Be experienced as a systems administrator.
- Be an advanced user of excel.
- Be a team player, calm under stress and friendly.
- Be a certified public accountant.
EXAMPLES OF FIRST YEAR PROJECTS:
- Coordination of annual financial budget
- Understand and master the Tyler Munis Financial System
Examples Of Essential Duties:
- Open, maintain, balance, adjust, and close accounting records; prepare, post, balance, and audit journal entries to properly record transactions in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and City policies and procedures.
- Perform account analysis and reconciliations; research transactions to resolve problems and ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Maintain investment and debt service portfolio; study cash flow and determine funds available for investment purposes; prepare activity summaries and reports.
- Monitor and audit payroll processing and serve as a technical resource to the payroll process; prepare periodic payroll-related reports.
- Prepare financial statements and reports for Federal, State and other regulatory agencies and for internal accounting purposes.
- Assist in budget preparation and monitoring for various City departments, projects and grants; provide analysis of available funds and monitor expenditures for authorization and proper classification.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of annual audit activities; develop and prepare financial and statistical reports, schedules, and workpapers.
- Establish and maintain detailed accounts relating to assessment districts, bond issues, and bond servicing.
- Assist in the maintenance, operation and enhancement of the City’s computerized accounting system.
- May perform special studies of financial activities as assigned.
- Perform other related work as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree (four-year degree) from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, or closely related field of study.
- Two years of professional accounting experience in a municipality or other similar setting.
- Demonstrated ability to perform journey-level, professional accounting work, including the successful completion of complex projects and reports.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency utilizing programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong 10-key skills.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and have a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Must pass an employment background check, including a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment and a credit check.
Prefer non-tobacco user.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please attach and submit the following required items with your electronic NEOGOV application:
- City of Gilroy employment application including supplemental question responses
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
- A detailed cover letter expressing your interest in this position with the City of Gilroy
- City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online.
Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy.
You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process.
The City of Gilroy is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.