The Accounting Coordinator position provides support in coordinating a variety of accounting functions for various City departments.
Details: Priority screening will begin on Tuesday, August 9th. It is in your best interest to apply by this date. The position will remain open until an adequate pool of applicants is received.
- Coordinate, research and verify accuracy of records and documents, such as: invoices and claims; calculate payments due, determine correct accounting or billing code; and generate reports of billing information.
- Maintain debt payment databases and spreadsheets; issue debt and credit card payments; make corrections, balance entries, prepare checks or billings and generate summary reports.
- Perform data entry into computer using specialized software applications; prepare periodic notices or special reports; search databases, records, and files to retrieve information.
- Maintain files and records, by vendor, citizen, property, or employee, according to billing or accounting function; maintain and dispose of public records according to statutory retention schedule.
- Monitor daily banking transactions; coordinate and maintain all aspects of the accounts receivable module and post payments for various departments.
- Assist with the reconciliation processes, including cash, bank, payroll, health benefit plan accounts and COBRA payments; balance general ledger cash accounts and funds for month and year-end; verify account totals and analyze all cash activity; post and adjust accounting entries to the general ledger; analyze internal controls.
- Provide support with budget and audit preparation, assist in developing operating and capital budget documents; prepare documents for all funds; attend budget hearings; and assist in preparing capital improvement budget.
- Analyze data and provide accurate information to departments to assist in financial management.
- Respond to inquiries from citizens, vendors, and employees.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of general office principles, procedures, and practices, including customer service, data entry, record management, generating reports, and the ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Knowledge of and the ability to learn financial administration principles and practices, including basic accounting, financial reporting, debt administration, budgeting, payroll processing, and risk management.
- Skill in developing accounts payable policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Skill in managing multiple tasks with keen detail and accuracy, and the ability to prioritize with shifting priorities and timeline demands.
- Skill in operating office equipment, using various computer software and databases, including Microsoft 365, and learning job-specific applications and equipment.
- Skill in communicating, in person and writing, with the proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals.
- Ability to research, analyze, and provide solutions to various problems and situations.
- Ability to resolve conflicts with facilitating outcomes while maintaining a calm demeanor.
- Ability to participate in a team-oriented environment, contributing as lead and\or collaborator, as necessary.
- Ability to learn departmental and City of Missoula policies, practices, and procedures, including the Missoula Municipal Code and City Administrative Rules related to pay practices and governmental reporting.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADDITIONAL APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to three (3) years of accounting experience or another relevant field.
To Apply: All applicants must submit a City of Missoula Application and a Cover Letter that answers, “Why are you interested in this position and how does it align with your career goals?"