The Accounting Director is responsible for the organization, operation, and coordination of the Accounting, Financial Applications Support Team (FAST), and Business and Financial Services Software Support for Loudoun County Public Schools.
Roles and Responsibilities
The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate:
- Directs and evaluates the activities of the Accounting Supervisor and Business Financial Systems Software Support Supervisor.
- Directs the administration of all accounting operations and the enterprise financial system.
- Interprets and implements Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Board Standards (GASB), and Federal, State, and local laws to ensure that the School District’s financial operation and financial reporting is in compliance.
- Administers, monitors, implements, and makes recommendations for the improvement of internal controls, processes, policies, and procedures.
- Provides oversight for the development and publication of the comprehensive annual financial report; performs ad hoc analysis and financial reports as needed.
- Coordinates the annual audit of the centralized funds and the school activity funds.
Below are the qualifications for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Public Administration, or a related field; Master’s Degree preferred; CPA preferred
- Seven years of experience in a finance, accounting, business in a leadership role; public school system or local government experience preferred
- Demonstrating knowledge of the theory, principles, practices and techniques of budget, finance, and accounting
- Knowledge of research principles and forecasting techniques to include analysis, interpretation, and use of statistics
- Demonstrated professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel and members of the community
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong technical skills to facilitate complex financial analysis
- Strong proficiency with Oracle E-Business Suite, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.