Nature of Work:
This is professional accounting and advanced supervisory work in coordination activities of the Accounting Division in the City's Finance Department and in performing advanced accounting work which requires a high degree of professional skill and experience. An employee in this classification is responsible for managing and performing related tasks for financial accounting and reporting, financial systems and reconciliations, audits, internal controls and other fiscal affairs of the City.
Illustrative Examples of Essential Duties:
Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of subordinate employees in recording accounting transactions to general ledger, general ledger account creation and maintenance, grants management, fixed assets recording and reconciliation, maintaining and reconciling journals, ledgers, and other records including bank reconciliations.
Coordinates team in preparing periodic and yearend financial and statistical statements and reports (ACFR, State AFR. etc.,). Maintaining and review of accounts kept for financial management system including generating reports, writing reports, processing monthly and yearly closings, and purging information as deemed necessary.
- Prepares financial statements, footnotes, and related statistical schedules for the City's Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR).
- Coordinates year-end audit functions with internal staff and external auditors.
- Works with other City departments to resolve over-expenditures and other problems.
- Supervises and participates in special projects and problem solving with various departments
- Serves as backup to the Revenue and Debt/Treasury/Disbursement Managers.
- Confers with superiors on matters relating to fiscal, administrative, and budgetary policy
- Develops and supervises the installation of new accounting procedures as need arises to resolve problems and/or improve the system.
- Researches, analyzes, interprets and implements Governmental Accounting Standard Board Statements (GASB).
- Prepares, reviews and approves journal entries for month end and year end close.
- Facilitates and manages month end close process.
- Reviews monthly and quarterly general ledger reconciliations.
- Conducts oversight and review of monthly bank reconciliations.
- Performs related tasks as required.