Performs a variety of complex technical duties, management/administrative functions over Payroll and Accounts Payable, and professional accounting duties associated with the Arapahoe County Finance Department.
- Supervises 5 non-exempt staff (2 Payroll, 2 Accounts Payable (AP), 1 Front Desk/Vendor Master), giving clear direction on responsibilities and work assignments, reviewing work for timeliness and accuracy, creating development plans and motivating staff to their highest level of performance.
- Provides oversight and management of biweekly Payroll processes, semi-weekly Accounts Payable processes and monthly Purchasing Card (PCard) processes.
- Serves as County's subject matter expert in Payroll, AP and PCard matters, regulations and processes.
- Ensures timely and accurate compliance for all tax and other payments and filings.
- Researches, troubleshoots and resolves complex problems and performs complex calculations and guides employees to do the same.
- Manages Payroll, Time & Attendance and AP issues within the SAP financial system and collaborates with key personnel and management Countywide to manage Payroll communications and processes to collectively improve the system and its integration with other software.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by studying existing, new and proposed regulations, enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management of needed actions.
- Makes recommendations, documents and implements business process improvements, reflecting best practices, including communication and change management efforts.
- Assists in developing test scripts and testing SAP Payroll and AP processes during patches, upgrades, special projects and other system changes, evaluating results and identifying systemic issues and solutions.
- Assists in the creation, maintenance and updating of County Payroll and AP documented processes and procedures.
- Develops and delivers training materials for employees and managers Countywide, including communications regarding system and process changes and other events.
- Develops and tracks relevant performance measures for Payroll, AP and PCard processes.
- Assists management with a variety of administrative functions, including the planning and coordination of special projects such as disaster recovery.
- Confirms calculations, performs account reconciliations and authorizes bank transfers.
- Maintains employee and management confidence and confidentiality.
- Performs others duties as assigned.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Strong ability to direct and evaluate the work and performance of others; ability to work accurately, independently, and in an organized manner. Strong skills in supervising office and professional accounting staff. Strong interpersonal skills applied in managing expectations, goals, and workflow to accomplish department objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain working relationships with elected officials, department directors, supervisors, contracted auditors, consultants, financial institutions, professional peers, other employees, and the general public. Ability to exercise good judgment with all interactions and decision making.
- Strong skill in recognizing, investigating and analyzing a variety of financial, operational and administrative problems within an ERP system, to understand the flow of the Payroll system end-to-end and to timely troubleshoot and resolve issues that occur to employees and to the system.
- Strong knowledge of the principles of specialized accounting areas such as Payroll, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, purchase and credit card transactions, travel and business expense reporting, bank reconciliations, automated banking transactions, internal controls and segregation of duties within all function of Payroll and AP.
- Basic knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Service First
- Excellent Quality
- Responsive Government
- Visionary Thinking
- Caring Leadership
- Effective Communication
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Respect for Others
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or a related field preferred.
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience in Payroll.
- At least three (3) years of supervisory/management experience in Payroll, and preferably in AP.
- At least three (3) years of relevant experience in an ERP Payroll/AP environment.
- Certified Payroll Profession (CPP) preferred. Certification required within 18 months of hire.
- Experience in governmental accounting is desirable.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must successfully pass pre-employment testing which includes an acceptable motor vehicle record (MVR) and background check.
- Possession of a valid Class "R" Colorado Driver's License or the ability to obtain one within two weeks of appointment.
- Position is deemed essential and incumbents must be available for emergency events and available to work outside of normal hours on occasion including evenings, holidays and weekends.
- Work is generally confined to a standard office environment.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
- Spends 80% of the time sitting and 20% of the time either standing or walking.
- Occasionally lifts, carries, pulls or pushes up to 20 lbs.
- Occasionally uses cart, dolly, or other equipment to carry in excess of 20 lbs.
- Occasionally climbs, stoops, kneels, balances, reaches, crawls and crouches while performing office or work duties.
- Verbal and auditory capacity enabling constant interpersonal communication through automated devices, such as telephones, radios, and similar; and in public meetings and personal interactions.
- Constant use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling the use of automated office machinery or equipment.
- Visual capacity enabling constant use of computer or other work related equipment.
- Occasionally: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
- Frequently: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
- Constantly: Activity exists more than 2/3 of the time.