The Office of the Controller is responsible for the financial operations of Chicago Public Schools, including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, Internal Accounts, and Corporate Accounting.
Under the direction of the Deputy Controller, the Assistant Deputy Controller, is primarily responsible for overseeing one or more Accounting functions, ensuring the maintenance of an accurate general ledger and accounting system, preparing financial reports including Annual Comprehensive Financial report, implementing new Government Accounting Standards Board standards and assisting in financial system implementation projects. The Accounting department has two Assistant Deputy Controllers to support this work; An Assistant Deputy Controller, Corporate Accounting and an Assistant Deputy Controller, Financial Reporting & Compliance.
The Assistant Deputy Controller will be held accountable for the following responsibilities:
- Manage all activities of the assigning accounting function(s)
- Assign, review and approve work completed by accounting staff
- Provide leadership, develop goals, objectives and performance standards for department staff and conduct performance evaluations
- Organize, develop, and schedule ongoing training and development for staff
- Assist in the reporting of a $7+ billion organization
- Ensure the timely and proper application of Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards, Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) best practices and advisories, U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) guidance, and other federal, state and local regulatory directives
- Evaluate the business process and/or application changes needed to stay in compliance with changing accounting rules based on new and existing GASB pronouncements.
- Assist in enhancing and implementing systems, controls and procedures that will afford an efficient operation of the department and Chicago Public Schools
- Serve as the liaison to the Office of Budget & Grants Management, Treasury, Law, and other CPS departments
- Responsible for assisting ITS in the migration and/or upgrading of varied Oracle Financial modules
- Attend meetings, provide input, develop test scripts and direct the end-user acceptance testing
- Other duties as assigned
Assistant Deputy Controller, Financial Reporting:
Prepare financial reports including Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), interim financial statements, Annual Financial Report (AFR-ISBE), and Single Audit Reporting as required under the US OMB Uniform Guidance, in addition to other Federal, State and Local regulatory requirements.
Provide overall management of the Annual Financial and Federal Single Audit for CPS and prepare the Schedule of Expenditures of Financial Awards (SEFA).
Create and maintain Oracle general ledger security and cross validation rules.
Overall management of the annual asset inventory and asset management function