At McConnell Jones, we aim to be a catalyst for positive growth fostering an environment where unique perspectives come together to enhance client solutions. As one of the top 3 largest African American owned CPA firms, we pride ourselves on the quality of our work, the tenure of our clients, and our own diversity—nearly two-thirds of our people are from an ethnically diverse background. The diversity of our people empowers the diversity of our client solutions, as captured by the firm’s tagline, Diverse Thinking | Unique Perspectives.
Our Mission: To foster an environment where unique perspectives come together to enhance client solutions.
Our Vision: To be a catalyst for positive growth through the power of diverse thinking.
Our Values: Creativity, Inclusion, Transparency, Accountability
About the job:
This Audit Senior Manager provides day to day leadership throughout the planning, field work and “wrap-up” stages of an Audit client engagement for our State and Local Government (SLG) audits. You will apply your knowledge of each client’s operations, processes, business objectives and risks to enhance each financial statement audit — all with the resources, environment, and support to help you excel. Will have knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) and/or Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
- Maintain steady contact with clients throughout the business year, which involves a thorough knowledge of the client and all facets of the client’s business rather than mere routine attendance to immediate problems.
- Plan and organize audits; communicate with client management regarding timing of fieldwork and client assistance levels; and communicate effectively with client to receive information necessary to complete the engagement with a minimum of disruption to client.
- Prepare the engagement letter and any subsequent modifications for approval by a Partner or Director, answers any questions the client may have so there is a complete understanding of the nature and terms of an assignment, including an estimate of fees, and sees that the engagement letter is signed by the client and returned before the start of the engagement.
- Perform an appropriate risk assessment/scoping and scale the audit based on risk. Oversees the development of audit or work programs prepared by the staff and, if necessary, revises the work program, then discusses the work program and time budget with the Partner and/or Director to obtain approval.
- Follow the progress of the work during an engagement in relation to budgeted time and scheduled dates of completion, spending as much time as possible with the client’s management group, periodically reviewing the working papers in the field as the job progresses. Determines whether all phases of the engagement are being carried out properly and in the best sequence. Anticipates the problem areas and questions that might arise.
- Resolve problems with the Partner and/or Director approval and drafts and/or reviews the report drafted by the in-charge or senior accountant.
- Follow reports through processing, answering any questions that arise, submits the reports to the Partner for final approval and signature, and supervises the distribution according to the client’s instructions.
- Discuss audit findings with management and review management letters.
- Supervise staff during audits which includes directing and instructing staff, where applicable, in performing work and reviewing work papers.
- As part of our compliance program, all team members are required to follow industry leading data and system security practices.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- CPA license required, with current license.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in public accounting, demonstrating a progression in complexity, scope and number of engagements managed.
- Expert in Accounting principles related to Not-for-Profit organizations.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge of GASB Basic Financial Statements for State and Local Governments.
- Strong background in technical knowledge of GAAP, FASB, GASB, FASAB.
- Generous PTO.
- 11 paid company holidays with 3 floating.
- Medical plan with HSA employer contribution, Dental, Vision available 1st of the month after start date.
- Company paid Long Term Disability.
- Company paid Life Insurance.
- 401k with company match up to 4% and 100% vested from day one.
- Certification Reimbursement program.
- CPA exam review benefit with Becker CPA.
- Employee Referral bonus opportunities from $1,000 to $5,000 per hired referral.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
McConnell & Jones is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate in employment and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or Vietnam era or other protected veteran. McConnell & Jones policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, we maintain an affirmative action program through which we take good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment-qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Vietnam era veterans, and other protected veterans.