Under general direction of the Budget Manager, the Budget Analyst I assists with the development, preparation, analysis, and ongoing review of the City's 5 year operating and capital plans, performance measures, management reviews, and continuous improvement projects.
- Performs primary preparation of budget analysis for assigned funds including tasks such as the development, preparation, analysis, and review of budget statements, reports, and records.
- Compiles and analyzes budget information to prepare entries to general ledger accounts and applies principles of accounting to analyze budget information and prepare budget reports.
- Analyzes, interprets and develops revenue and expenditure projections for the use in preparing operating and capital budgets, forecasts, schedules and other management reporting information.
- Prepares and processes journal entries for transactions and fund transfers as directed by the Budget Manager.
- Prepares balance sheets and income statements (statements of fund balances) on a regular basis that are used for internal operational reporting as well as by the Budget Team; including providing actual support data and interpreting reporting data in an accurate and concise manner
- Prepare supporting documents, schedules and footnotes as needed in preparation of the City's annual budget and coordinate and provide data and information to the internal audit department as requested.
- Modifies as directed and documents the implementation of accounting and accounting control procedures.
- Coordinates with outside agency contacts and prepares and monitors outside agency funding agreements and contracts.
- Work with staff and other city employees on the continuous improvement of accounting services to ensure a consistent, integrated Accounting System that is utilized within the standards, and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Recommend process improvement goals, objectives, and changes to policies and priorities for assigned activities in order to improve the financial reporting services of the City.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in accounting finance or related field; and two (2) years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform essential duties. CPA equivalent eligibility or progress towards requirements. Customer service orientation, continuous improvement orientation, teamwork focused and self-starter. Professional attitude, well organized, detail oriented, problem solving skills and strong communication skills (written and oral). Knowledge of principles, methods and practices of public administration, municipal finance, accounting and budgeting. Experience with Local Government Operating and Capital Budget. Exposure to fund accounting.