Do you have strong accounting skills, an eye for detail, and want a position that will provide meaningful and challenging work that supports City financial operations? The City of Cedar Rapids seeks an experienced professional to perform a variety of tasks including accounting functions, preparing budgets and financial plans, as well as performing a variety of complex research, analysis, and reporting responsibilities including identifying financial issues and recommending solutions. If this sounds like you, apply today!
Examples of Essential Duties:
- Maintains City capital improvement project information in City financial system and ensures proper use of capital project funds.
- Coordinates, prepares and maintains the city operating and capital improvement project budgets and budget amendments and ensures proper use of funds and budget.
- Creates detailed written reports and financial summaries of financial information or performance.
- Performs a variety of detailed budget and actual review, research, Reviews detail of transactions and maintains financial information in City Financial system.
- Responsible for mid-month and month end processes to ensure the integrity of the Financial system.
- Reviews and approves City journal entries.
- Identifies problems and issues and provides solutions, recommendations, and alternate options.
- Prepares long term financial plans, complex calculations, and rate structures.
- Provides a variety of department and finance training and guidance.
- Leads departments such as Internal service areas and Public Works through annual budget and planning processes while setting fees and ensuring financial sustainability of operations and capital improvement projects. This requires understanding of business operations, fund accounting, capital assets requirements, and being current on laws and regulations.
- Performs internal audits to monitor accounting and budget records.
- Ensures compliance with all established City policies.
- Assists with special projects such as cost/benefit analysis.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related field and
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in accounting, research, analysis, building cost of service rates, and making conclusions and recommendations or
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population