The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office (JCSO) is nestled in the foothills of picturesque Golden, Colorado, with easy access to Denver and the Rocky Mountains. We serve over 550,000 residents of Jefferson County with our core values of integrity, excellence, and respect. Every employee, regardless of role or assignment, is critical to our mission of fostering good relationships with our citizens. We work every day to make Jefferson County a safe place to live, learn, work and play.
The JCSO is currently searching for a well-qualified individual to perform the duties of the Director of Business and Finance. The ideal candidate for this position will be a mature leader with expertise in government operational oversight, finance, asset and project management, as well as strategic and capital planning.
The Director of Budget and Finance reports to the Finance and Information Services Division Chief. Areas of supervision include: the Business Office, which performs human resources, accounting, budgeting, procurement, grants, revenue, billing and financial reporting functions; Supply, which procures and manages inventory for equipment and supplies; Building Maintenance, which performs preventative maintenance and capital repair and replacement functions for the Sheriff’s Office campus; and Fleet, which manages specialized vehicles to support overall operations.
The Director of Budget and Finance should possess a deep understanding of the operational/administrative responsibilities associated with a large, complex organization. The individual in this position will perform major operational strategic planning for short and long-term goals for the areas supervised, and will hold the key role in creating, implementing and updating capital replacement plans. In addition, the Director of Budget and Finance will be responsible for maintaining excellent internal controls for asset management and will ensure timely and efficient project management planning, implementation and reporting.
The ideal candidate is an innovative problem solver who excels in a fast-paced work environment; a progressive leader who can recruit and build teams that perform in a solution-oriented, customer service driven environment; and an adept communicator who can effectively work with a variety of stakeholders.
Essential duties include:
- Sets strategic goals and priorities for assigned departments, and establishes individual goals and work plans for departmental managers.
- Monitors departmental work plans and provides direction and feedback to managers and supervisors to set or correct direction to accomplish strategic goals.
- Oversees the overall accounting and finances for the Sheriff's Office, maximizing existing resources through prioritization and cost-savings initiatives.
- Coordinates the planning, forecasting, preparation and expenditure of funds. Assesses allocation, justification, and necessity for expenditures and revenues.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of financial reports for internal and external use, and delivers general fiscal information and advice.
- Supervises staff in area of responsibility.
- Assists and advises subordinates as necessary, resolves problems as non-routine situations arise, and ensures adherence to established policies, procedures and standards.
- Directs special projects and serves as lead project manager for complex initiatives.
- Researches and enforces requirements of county, state and federal regulations, policies and procedures.
- The position requires a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, economics or another related field. A Master’s degree is preferred. In addition, this position requires a minimum of five to seven years of management experience in a complex organization with responsibilities in budget, finance and operational oversight. Law enforcement operational and budgetary management expertise is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective leadership in public service.
- Proven record of short and long-term local government operational planning skills.
- Knowledge of capital planning and project management.
- Expertise in technology/software programs related to finance and budget, e.g. Oracle or Workday (Workday strongly preferred).
- Advanced skills in data management and analysis software such as Excel functionality for large dataset manipulation and analysis.