Budget Development and Financial Cost Analyst
BUDGET DEVELOPMENT AND FINANCIAL COST ANALYST (FISCAL MANAGER, SENIOR)
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future Fiscal Manager, Senior vacancies. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
This recruitment will close on Friday, March 24, 2023, at 11:59 P.M. (PST).
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
The County Budget & Finance Office is part of the County Executive Office and reports to the County Finance Officer. The division's primary responsibility is the County's budget: planning, preparation, presentation and monitoring and development of the County's Long-Range Strategic Financial Plan. In addition, the division performs special studies and participates in working groups to assist the CEO and County departments with special projects.
The County Budget & Finance Office is seeking a Budget Development and Financial Cost Analyst to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Serve as a direct backup for the Team Lead for Budget Development and Systems Services. Assist with the administration of the County's automated Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) budgeting system, Performance Budgeting (PB), including performing user acceptance testing for general PB system releases; development and testing of new business processes; validation of data and system reports; and providing end-user support to County departmental staff for general system utilization.
- Coordinate and develop training courses, documentation, online training videos and procedures for countywide end users of the PB system.
- Assist with the coordination of the countywide strategic financial plan (SFP) and budget development processes, including preparation of instructions and compilation of projected rates for development of departmental SFP’s and budgets; preparation of the recommended and annual budget documents; and preparation of agenda staff reports related to the budget process.
- Assist with developing salary tables, retirement rates, health rates, and other employee benefit rates for the Salaries and Benefits Forecasting System (SBFS), as well as reviewing and validating the SBFS projections.
- Participate in labor negotiations, including gathering and analyzing data to prepare and present complex financial and cost analyses for the labor negotiations process.
- Serve as backup for the County's subject matter expert on retirement-related matters and as liaison for the Orange County Employees Retirement System (OCERS), which includes attending meetings and preparing detailed schedules and reports for pension related matters.
- Create and maintain procedures to document business processes.
- Perform a variety of complex ad-hoc reporting and analytical requests for special projects.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will have at least five (5) years of combined professional-level experience in finance, budget and/or accounting, including two (2) years of lead/ supervisory experience. A Bachelor's degree in Business Administration/Management, Accounting, Finance, or closely related field is highly desirable.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge and/or experience in the following core competencies:
Professional & Technical Expertise
- Knowledge of and experience with respect to governmental budget and/or accounting principles, policies and processes.
- Financial forecasting and projection techniques based on financial planning perspectives.
- Experience utilizing the County's automated ERP systems or comparable systems, including budgeting, finance and/or human resources/payroll systems.
- Knowledge and experience with data mining utilizing data warehouses.
- Experience in the use of MS Excel (Intermediate to Advanced), MS Access (Basic to Intermediate), MS Word (Intermediate), and MS PowerPoint (Basic to Intermediate).
- Experience researching and gathering data to perform detailed and complex financial/cost analyses and preparing financial/cost reports.
Problem Solving and Analysis
- Researches, organizes, accurately interprets and applies relevant data.
- Develops alternate solutions or options for management's consideration.
- Effectively analyzes problems and situations and readily commits to action.
- Identifies areas for improvement and seeks creative solutions.
- Makes decisions that reflect sound judgment.
- Achieves measurable results.
Effective Communication | Collaboration
- Experience presenting ideas and complex issues clearly, concisely, logically and persuasively both orally and in writing to a variety of audiences and methods.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to accurately convey ideas and information.
- Proven ability to share technical knowledge with others.
- Proven ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Experience effectively working as part of a team to tackle and solve issues creatively to ensure achievement of program and project objectives.
Planning | Organization | Results-Focused
- Proven ability to effectively plan, organize and implement projects to meet established deadlines.
- Accountable for personal performance in achieving goals and maintains sufficient content knowledge to perform all aspects of the job effectively.
- Exhibits innovation and creativity in identifying and resolving problems as they occur.
- Looks at issues from multiple perspectives, considering short/long-term objectives and potential impacts before drawing conclusions or taking action.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Leadership and Supervision
- Effectively manages, leads and coordinates with employees, management and executive staff to successfully put together strategic financial plans.
- Effectively assigns work to others and provides challenging assignments that give responsibility, authority and autonomy to match developmental readiness.
- Effectively directs, persuades and motivates others.
- Displays broad organizational perspective in dealing with issues.
- Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all application materials for minimum and desirable qualifications. After screening, candidates who meet the minimum and desirable qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process.
- Application Screening| (Refer/Non-Refer): Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those candidates that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.
Applicants who meet desirable qualifications will be invited to participate in one or more job-related assessments. Applicants will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Only the most qualified applicants will move forward to the next step in the recruitment process.
Structured Oral Interview (Weighted 100%)
Candidates will be interviewed and rated by a panel of subject matter experts. Each candidate's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the candidate's qualifications for the job.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedure listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Eligible List | Score Groups: Once all assessments have been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination and boosting as follows:
Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted in accordance with applicable states orders. (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason)
In addition, depending on assignment and COVID-19 Community Level, workers in certain high-risk settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.
NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Aniko Ruha at firstname.lastname@example.org or (714) 834-7370.