Under the direction of the Budget Director, the Budget Manager, Sr. plans, manages, organizes, directs, and personally performs professional budgeting activities in accordance with the principles and procedures of public finance, budgeting, and budgetary control. This position has responsibility to perform complex professional level tasks related to budgeting and budget activities. Works with assigned departments in the development of the annual budget; participates in the development and analysis of budgetary initiatives and the review and analysis of departmental budgetary requests; participates in the development and analysis of budget recommendations, appropriations and allocations. Participates in the training of other staff, as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following functions are typical for this position and are considered the minimum essential job duties. Other duties may be assigned and required:
- Organizes and supervises a staff of professional employees involved in budget research and analysis in the preparation of departmental operating and capital budgets;
- Performs and supervises the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual variance analysis and budget analysis for financial reports.
- Compiles and analyzes data, prepare tables, charts, and summaries to be used in the City’s budget documents and presentations.
- Develops the annual operating and capital budget
- Assists in evaluating and recommending funding needs for the Capital Projects.
- Works with staff to analyze requests from assigned departments, programs and funds.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on department budget proposals.
- Provides effective and proactive analysis of and feedback about budgetary issues.
- Assist in the fiscal evaluation of proposed legislation.
- Participates in strategic planning activities relating to assigned departments and programs.
- Directs long-range planning activities to project future budget needs.
- Prepares written materials, memos, charts, graphs, spreadsheets, etc. to communicate results of various analyses and recommendations to management.
- Participates in the preparation of various published budget documents; provides information, responds to inquiries, and generally acts as primary resource in assigned areas.
- Decision Making
- Selects from multiple procedures and methods to accomplish tasks. Applies organizational policies.
- Leadership Provided
- Routines provides work group leadership, guidance, and/or training to budget analysts and less experienced staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively convey technical, programmatic and financial information in a clear and understandable manner to a broad audience.
- Extensive knowledge of concepts and processes in finance area
- Strong Microsoft experience – Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with Financial Functions – V Look Up, Pivot Tables, Sum IF statements, Macros, etc.
- Experience with Financial Management software and databases.
- Skill in interpersonal communications and in presenting information.
- Ability to apply professional knowledge to carry out assignments with limited supervision.
- Ability to process numbers quickly and accurately. Ability to spot inconsistencies and either troubleshoot issues as they arise or escalate to higher level.
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to supervise and train others.
- Ability to build effective relationships within the organization.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or a closely related field;
- Minimum of 3-5 years of financial forecasting, analysis, and budget development professional experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or a closely related field preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with direct responsibility for budget development, forecasting, analysis and management.
Licensures and Certifications
- None required
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
- Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.