Directs the Department of Administrative Services Central Business Office (CBO), which is responsible for budgeting, accounting and monitoring of capital and operating budget of the Department of Administrative Services (DAS), Human Resources, Office of Emergency Management, Office of Equity, Office of Strategy, Budget and Performance, Office of the County Executive and other departments as assigned.
- Supervises Central Business Office Staff - Leads all day-to-day staff operations of the CBO. Prepares annual performance evaluations. Provides training on budget and accounting functions. Coaches, counsels and develops team. Involved in conflict resolution and employee engagement initiatives.
- Manages Operation of Capital Project Cost and Scheduling System - This database tracks expenditures for county-wide capital projects and is reconciled regularly with financial systems.
- Manages Day-to-Day Accounting and Year End Closing - Reviews and approves journal entries, oversees capital and operating account reconciliations and year end closing operations including carryovers. Responds to requests from external and internal auditors. Manages day-to-day accounting practice for service departments.
- Capital and Operating Budget Preparation and Monitoring - Assists in preparation, review and coordination of divisional operating budgets for Department of Administrative Services, Human Resources, Office of Equity, Office of Strategy, Budget and Performance, Office of the County Executive, Office of the Corporation Counsel and the Office of Emergency Management.
- Oversees Tracking of Department Contracts - Directs staff in the payment, tracking and reporting of departmental contracts. This includes public works, professional services and others as necessary.
- Special Projects - Develops, leads, and assists in county-wide special project assignments and other initiatives as assigned.
- Serves as a Member of the DAS Leadership Team - Under the guidance of the DAS Director, aids in the strategic and fiscal planning for the department. Assists in the development and implementation of policies, plans, work rules and engagement efforts within DAS.
- Ability to carry and lift up to 35 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, License/Certification and Experience
- Current residency within the State of Wisconsin required
- Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required and must be maintained throughout employment
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Business, Public Administration, Accounting, Finance or closely related field required
- Five (5) years or more of work experience in Accounting, Finance or Budget Management required
- One (1) year or more of work experience in a Supervisory, Management or Director role required
- Advanced knowledge of all related computer and software applications such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams and Excel required
Note: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the State of Wisconsin. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Effective October 1, 2021, Milwaukee County will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
Job Family 1 - Financial Administration/General Control Job Function 1 Officials and Administrators Pay Type Salary Required Education Bachelor’s Degree