The purpose of this position is to participate and assist in overseeing accounting and financial reporting activities and the management of the City’s accounting deliverables. This is accomplished by planning, performing and coordinating activities related to debt and investments, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, general and subsidiary ledger maintenance, encumbrances, treasury management, budgets and financial reporting. Other duties may include ensuring accounting and finance activities are in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles with regards to
internal controls, software maintenance and system upgrades, financial reporting, records management and legal disclosures. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
- Supports the accounting function by planning, performing and coordinating activities related to encumbrances, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, general and subsidiary ledger maintenance, project and grant administration, financial reporting, and cash management.
- Prepares the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, Quarterly Financial Reports, Quarter Investment Report, Debt Service Summaries and Single Audit Report.
- Oversees and ensures timely month end close process; that all staff assignment are completed within Floqast.
- Completes the Fiscal Year end close process within Munis.
- Ensures timely filing for Federal and State tax documents.
- Manages user access for Munis, JP Morgan Chase, GIACT, Merchant Processor. Participates in the development and preparation of year-end financial statements and reports and works on year-end audit activities with external auditors. Assist with the RFQ process for the selection of the independent external auditors.
- Ensures accounting and finance activities are in compliance with governmental accounting standards and generally accepted accounting principles with regard to financial reporting, grant requirements, records management and legal disclosures.
- Completes analytical reviews of balance sheet accounts to confirm accuracy; researches items as needed and prepares corrections to general ledger. Responsible for coaching staff on best practices and methodology.
- Participates in the investment management of excess cash.
- Processes all debt service payments.
- Assists with the issuance of debt for the funding of capital assets or refunding of existing debt and development of the Official Statement associated with bond sales.
- Ensures annual continuing debt disclosures and material event notices are filed with EMMA.
- CompleteS arbitrage calculations and filings in a timely manner.
- Completes required reports for local, state and federal agencies and special projects as assigned.
- Maintains knowledge of accounting software by researching MUNIS updates and impact to Citywide operations.
- Provides guidance on upcoming GASB statements, accounting techniques and best practices.
- Tests 3rd party integrations and systems that interface with the City’s ERP.
Formal Education / Knowledge
- Work requires broad knowledge in a general profession or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Four years of municipal accounting experience with a CPA certificate, or six years without. Knowledge of governmental budgeting and accounting principles is strongly preferred. Must have experience in financial statement preparation.
Certification and Other Requirements
- Valid Class C Driver's License
- Certified Public Accountant preferred
- Certified Government Finance Officer preferred