**Apply by May 10, 2021
(Interviews will be scheduled upon receipt of qualified applications - Open Until Filled).
***Please click on the link to read more about this opportunity: https://www.cityofsalem.net/hrdocs/chief-accountant-position-description.pdf (Download PDF reader)
The City of Salem Finance Department currently has an excellent career opportunity for a skilled manager to join its team! The Chief Accountant performs professional, technical, analytical and administrative functions, and supervises the management accounting staff, project accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll functional areas. This position is responsible for publication of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (annual financial audit and single audit,) grant compliance, completion of the monthly and annual closing of the financial records system, and the maintenance of the City's Financial Information Management system.
As the Chief Accountant, you will coordinate with other departments and Information Technology on the implementation and testing of new software. The Chief Accountant is responsible for the completion of internal audits, Transient Occupancy Tax audits and review of internal processes and controls. The Chief Accountant is part of the Finance Division, which also has responsibility for the City’s treasury, purchasing and budget departments.
The City of Salem Finance department offers a community of welcoming and kind accountants, project managers, account managers, and executives to work with and learn from. The finance department is a diverse and inclusive workplace that balances productivity with enjoyment environment filled with colleagues who are passionate about public service and accounting to serve the community. We believe your experience in municipal accounting will bring great value to the finance department. We offer medical, vision, and dental coverage with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave and paid holidays, plus pension and retirement plans.
The City of Salem is a full-service municipality and is the capital of the State of Oregon. The organization provides a full range of municipal services, including but not limited to police, fire, municipal court, airport, public works, economic development, community planning and development, parks and recreation, water/wastewater/stormwater utilities, and library. The Urban Renewal Agency of the City of Salem is a separate municipal corporation responsible for governing Salem's urban renewal areas.
The work is completed in a high paced environment with competing priorities and multiple interruptions. If you are detail oriented, willing to learn, have high analytical proficiency, a friendly personality, a passion for service, and have excellent oral and written communication skills, then this is the perfect position for you! Highly qualified candidates will be considered for a starting wage above the midpoint of the hiring range for this position.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Must pass the pre-employment background check.
- Must have an Oregon Driver license and a driving record that meets the City of Salem's driving standards.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business, accounting, finance, or public administration, or a related field, and eight (8) years of progressively responsible professional managerial experience, including managing multiple divisions or units with subordinate supervisory staff, or any combination of experience and training that demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities as listed, and ability to perform the examples of work.
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license or Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) credential is required.
- Five (5) years of professional government experience in accounting preferred.
Where can I find out more about the position?
- Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for Division Manager or view by clicking here.
How can I apply?
- The City of Salem invites individuals of all diverse communities and backgrounds to apply for our available job opportunities as we strive to provide the best service to everyone. The City of Salem is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all and has a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, we are better able to serve the community.
- To apply, click on the green “Apply” button to complete your application. Make sure that you specify how you meet the qualifications outlined in the class specification and complete the application.
- Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications as outlined above but not selected for this position may be placed on an eligibility list, and candidates may be hired from the list. Eligibility lists are valid for six months. The City will send email notifications to eligible candidates about potential hiring opportunities so please ensure your email settings accept our system generated email notifications.
- You may subscribe for automatic notification of job openings at the City through the Job Interest Cards – sign up today!
- For more information about employment at the City of Salem, please visit our website at www.cityofsalem.net/jobs.
City of Salem
555 Liberty St SE, Room 225
Salem, Oregon, 97301