ACCOUNTANT - FINANCE DEPARTMENT
$88,709.00 - $107,826.00 Annually, Plus Excellent Benefits
An additional 5% step (Step F) is available to employees in this job classification after completion of five years of service, one year at Step E, and good performance evaluation.
Opportunity to work a 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off.
The City of Gilroy is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion. Join our team!
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting to fill a full-time Accountant position. In this exciting opportunity the Accountant will work under general supervision of a Finance Manager, and perform professional accounting work in the establishment, maintenance, and analysis of financial accounts and records. The Accountant will also prepare a variety of financial and statistical reports, and perform related work as required. Moreover, this position is a journey-level classification who will be fully qualified and capable of independently performing the full range of accounting duties and can successfully complete more complex work and projects. Incumbents in this classification may provide training and guidance to less experienced employees.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The goal of the Finance Department is to provide timely and accurate financial information to city management, city council and the public and administer the city’s assets including cash and investments, in a prudent and responsible manner; and provide friendly and efficient utility billing services to the city’s water and waste water customers. We are a fast-paced team environment that prides itself in providing exceptional customer service. We are motivated, energetic, and creative when it comes to serving our community.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Possess journey-level government accounting skills and can accurately field questions and provide guidance on city finance and accounting matters.
- Have a strong aptitude for clear, concise, and direct communication, as well as the ability to succinctly summarize complex financial information.
- Foster collaboration, set an example for the team, and demonstrate a positive attitude.
- Be knowledgeable with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for day-to-day accounting activities.
- Have excellent project management skills and can prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and can work with various levels within the Finance Department.
- Have experience using an Enterprise Resource Planning system for city finance and accounting matters to include tracking fixed assets. Experience with Tyler Munis preferred.
- Have a strong attention to detail and be a stickler for accuracy.
- Have experience providing information and support to the annual audit process.
- Be an advanced user of Excel.
- Be a Certified Public Accountant.
EXAMPLES OF FIRST YEAR PROJECTS
- Complete implementation of Fixed Assets Module in Tyler Munis
- Facilitate the FY22 financial audit/closing in the new Tyler Munis ERP
- Learn new Tyler Munis ERP/ Financial system
- A bachelor’s degree (four-year degree) from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, or closely related field of study.
- Two years of professional accounting experience in a municipality or other similar setting.
- Demonstrated ability to perform journey-level, professional accounting work, including the successful completion of complex projects and reports.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency utilizing programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong 10-key skills.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and have a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Must pass an employment background check, including a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment and a credit check.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.