Under the direction of the Finance Director, plans, organizes, and manages the City’s accounting program including any combination of financial reporting, budgeting, debt administration, general ledger and core financial system maintenance, as well as supervision of both professional and paraprofessional staff in performing the required activities. This is a single position classification. It is not part of a series.
Examples of Work Performed (Illustrative Only)
The following list reflects the essential job duties and responsibilities of this classification, but should not be considered all-inclusive. The incumbent will be expected to perform other related duties as assigned.
- Supervises the performance of both professional and paraprofessional accounting staff. Supervision includes training, work assignment and review, performance appraisal, employee evaluation, and making employment and pay rate change recommendations.
- Assists the Finance Director in preparing reports, presentations, and conducting various financial analyses as needed.
- Oversees year-end reporting and closing functions, including the preparation of the City’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) as well as other quarterly and annual budgetary and financial reports.
- Oversees project accounting and is responsible for grant accounting and reporting for the City’s capital improvement program (CIP).
- Ensures appropriate governmental accounting concepts are being correctly and consistently applied within financial statements and reports. Makes recommendations to the Finance Director regarding reporting deficiencies or other areas for improvement that have been identified.
- Oversees the City’s debt administration program, including compliance monitoring and preparation of all required external compliance reporting. Assists the Finance Director in preparing financial information and presentations associated with the issuance of bonds or other financing transactions.
- Evaluates accounting system requirements and makes recommendations regarding system needs, improvements, and enhancements. Provides oversight and monitors internal control structure to ensure they are appropriate in all aspects of daily operations. Makes necessary recommendations regarding improvements to the accounting system and/or internal control environment.
- Maintains journals, ledgers, and other complex financial records and establishes the total financial status of various funds and reconciles discrepancies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field and five or more years' experience in the preparation of financial statements and reports and the interpretation and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), or any combination of relevant education and experience sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform duties listed above. Two years of experience in a project lead or supervisory capacity is preferred.
- Must pass a criminal background investigation.
- Must maintain a level of mental and physical fitness required to perform the essential functions of this classification.
- Must maintain regular attendance and punctuality.