The Senior Accountant is a highly motivated professional who will assist the Financial Manager in overseeing the Finance and Accounting duties of the city. Your primary responsibility will be grants accounting. This position is responsible for performing complex professional and technical accounting work in support of the City’s financial accounting functions, with a primary focus on administrative and fiscal management of Federal, State, and Local grants and grant compliance requirements. These tasks include managing the life cycle of the grant projects, monitoring and tracking costs, monitoring sub-recipients, collaborating with external and internal partners, filing periodic required reports, providing transparent reporting, and ensuring compliance with the Uniform Guidance requirements.
- Serve as the organization’s subject matter expert for grants and related reporting.
- Assist with both pre-award and post-award activity for the assigned grant funding.
- Conduct routine compliance reviews of grant programs.
- Assist with the creation of new grant project budgets, monitor all expenditures, verify availability of funds and allowable expenditure as dictated by applicable federal, state, local grant guidance.
- Coordinate, prepare, and submit all required grant reporting, including reimbursement requests, to the awarding agency.
- Maintains records in a timely and accurate manner and in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, and directions from grant authorities.
- Assist in financial reporting process which includes, but not limited to, preparing weekly, monthly, and yearly financial reports.
- Assist in accounting duties such as bank reconciliations, accounts receivable, accounts payable, in all other accounting affiliated duties.
- Assists with the month end and year end closings; Assist with annual audits.
- Protects the City’s value by keeping sensitive information discrete and confidential.
- Performs all other duties, as assigned.
- Excel experience is a must, because the employee will have to know how to create Spreadsheets and word processing software.
- Plan, organize, and prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
- Communication and verbal skills a must, as well as must be able to work successfully with a municipal finance team.
- The ability to work independently with strong time management skills.
- Possess planning and organizational abilities, multi-tasking, and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Quality communication and interaction skills when dealing with co-workers and/or public.
- Work under stressful conditions, react calmly and quickly in emergency situations, and aid fellow employees, as necessary.