Ideally situated on the central Gulf Coast, the City of Freeport, Texas, is approximately 60 miles south of Houston and 45 miles southwest of Galveston in Brazoria County. With a strong industrial base, Freeport has a total annual operating budget over $27 million. Freeport is home to over 12,000 residents who enjoy beautiful beaches, outstanding offshore fishing, and a welcoming, small-town atmosphere. Freeport is part of the Brazosport, Southern Brazoria County area, and is in Brazosport ISD, an award-winning school district.
The City of Freeport offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits, including free health insurance for employees and a 40% contribution to dependent coverage; free dental, vision, life & LTD insurance for employees; TMRS Retirement with a 2:1 City match; and a voluntary 457 Plan and optional legal and identity theft services. We also offer education and certification pay to encourage employee development. Employees enjoy thirteen paid holidays, paid vacation and sick time, and longevity pay.
The Finance Director manages general business administration operations and is responsible for planning, directing, and overseeing the activities of the Finance Department. A complete Job Description is available at City of Freeport Jobs. Essential responsibilities include:
- Administration: manages development and implementation of department goals, policies, and allocation of staff resources, and advises the City Manager on all financial management matters;
- Budget and Long-Range Financial Planning: prepares the annual operating budget, capital improvement plan, and financial forecasts;
- Accounting: oversees Accounts Payable, Payroll, Capital Assets, General Ledger, Grant Administration, and Administrative services;
- Purchasing: maintains purchasing policy, oversees competitive bidding, ensures compliance with laws;
- Utility Billing: oversees billing and revenue collection services and approves billing adjustments;
- Municipal Court: oversees activities of court office and ensures cases are processed effectively.
The ideal candidate’s strong financial management and analysis abilities will be complemented by an excellent knowledge of municipal accounting laws, good interpersonal and communication skills, and high proficiency with financial programs and software, including Incode, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
The Finance Director position requires certification as a Certified Government Finance Officer or CPA, and a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business or another related field. A minimum of five (5) years in government finance experience is required, with at least three (3) years supervisory experience.
The starting salary range is $85,000 to $105,000, commensurate with qualifications. The deadline for first review of resumes is January 25, 2021, with an ideal start date in mid-February to facilitate a transition period with the outgoing Director before Feb. 24, 2021. The position will remain open until filled by a qualified candidate.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume, and completed employment application form, available at: City of Freeport Jobs. Submit documents to: email@example.com. Questions can be directed to Brenda Miller-Fergerson, Director-Human Resource Services, at 979-871-0108.