Under general direction of the Controller, the Compliance Manager serves as a key member of the Financial Services Office. Manages, monitors, audits and reports on City/Community Development Corporation/Economic Development Corporation (City/CDC/EDC) compliance and contract agreements for chapter 380 agreements, development agreements, performance agreements, impact fee agreements, other economic incentive agreements and purchase & sale contracts, leases and other legal documents. Completes detailed analytical studies, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting on performance data related to various agreements, leases and contracts. Monitors, tracks and resolves contract performance issues to include compliance reporting, contract changes \ amendments, and dispute resolution of City/CDC/EDC contracts. Serves as a liaison between City departments to coordinate and provide contract management activities for assigned projects. Oversees the implementation, tracking and closeout of assigned projects as well as those which have a beginning, end and specified deliverables. Reports milestones and progress to City Manager’s Office, Chief Financial Officer and EDC President on a recurring basis. Completes special projects as required and will supervise assigned staff.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
- Conducts initial and follow up compliance meetings with clients and their various representatives, to include C-level personnel, to provide clear and concise reporting\compliance instructions; meetings may include assigned business development staff member(s).
- Maintains ongoing relationship with performance agreement clients for later conversion from initial client to a business expansion client.
- As part of the compliance monitoring process, where applicable, ensures client adherence with “separated materials” provisions and the required use of the designated separated materials sales tax consultant.
- Reviews economic incentive agreements submitted by City and EDC business development staff for development and integration of compliance documents, review of narrative memorandums, and other supporting materials prior to placement on City Council, CDC/EDC Board agendas. Supervises changes to be made and assists Legal in ensuring all changes are captured in final agreements.
- Inputs and tracks detailed data from various economic incentive agreements, purchase & sale contracts, leases, development / impact fee agreements and other documents into multiple software platforms.
- Manages the compliance process for all economic incentive agreements, creates and approves contract compliance documentation; submits required documentation to Finance for payment of incentives as required.
- Conducts client follow up and communication to include compliance reminders on economic incentive agreements and tracks compliance progress.
- Conducts follow up meetings with Engineering and Development Services staff on active development agreements.
- Completes data reporting and analysis on contract compliance with performance criteria.
- Reports on baseline performance requirements as compared to actual performance related to the baseline line requirements; prepares statistical reports related to such performance data.
- Manages multiple contractual deadlines for a large volume of economic incentive agreements and development agreements.
- Monitors, in coordination with the Controller, City/CDC/EDC budget and project funding to ensure financial obligations are accurate and complete for future commitments; includes reviewing all agreements prior to approval for assessment of annual financial obligations being proposed per fiscal year and over the proposed agreement term.
- Assists City/CDC/EDC staff in researching, developing and formulating the annual budget as it related to incentive payments.
- Monitors annual incentive budget expenditures for all active incentives and agreements.
- Liaison between City departments to coordinate and provide contract management activities for all economic incentive development agreements.
- Creates monthly financial reports and other reports as requested in conjunction with the Controller.
- Maintains audit workpapers and debt workpapers regarding contracts with financial incentives or stipulations.
- Oversees maintenance of all records related to economic incentive agreements, development agreements, chapter 380 agreements, impact fee agreements, purchase & sale contracts, leases and other documents, coordinating with City Secretary regarding record retention, filing systems, protection and security of files & records and transfer/disposal according to retention schedules.
- Coordinates responses to Public Information Requests with the City Secretary’s Office regarding agreements, contracts, performance agreements and chapter 380 agreements.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with clients, to include C-level representatives, and their various compliance staffs, other agencies and staff.
- Manages multiple programs and special projects simultaneously.
- Develops, oversees and implements new and innovative programs and services that create efficiency and improvements in the contract management process.
- Coaches/Leads, motivates, develops, engages and evaluates assigned personnel.
- Develops and maintains a knowledgeable, service-oriented, productive work group.
- Provides timely, accurate and thorough performance evaluations for supervised employees.
- Represents the City and city agencies at local, regional, state and federal coalitions and hearings and may be required to travel on short notice.
Other Important Duties:
- Serves as Notary to notarize necessary documents.
- May be required to work some outside regular working hours to attend City Council CDC/EDC board meetings.
- Travels to attend meetings, conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Reports to EDC President on a dotted-line basis for daily coordination of essential jobs functions.
- Knowledge of public administration practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of City, CDC/EDC policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervisory principals including personnel motivation, interviewing, hiring, oversight, evaluation and discipline.
- Skill in the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, statutes, and regulations related to the field of public sector economic incentive agreements, development agreements, impact fee agreements and contract management.
- Ability to review economic incentive agreements, development agreements, impact fee agreement and contract / compliance documentation for discrepancies and conformance to standards.
- Ability to track funding and expenditures of multiple contracts; some contracts will be interdependent on one another.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in preparing and making public presentations of complex information.
- Ability to identify problems and propose solutions in a timely manner.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and draw conclusions and present data and other information in a clear and logical manner. Must have strong research skills.
- Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks and projects with minimal supervision and direction.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a responsible manner.
- Expert in the use of computers and related equipment, hardware and software to include Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) for the development of various communications, budgets, presentations, graphics, charts and management level papers/reports and grants; ability to become highly proficient in the use of Salesforce client management software
- Proficiency in use of the English language including the meaning of words and grammar.
- Proficiency in reading complex legal agreements and contracts and extracting out financial deal points and performance agreement milestones; ability to convert such data into comprehensive certificates of compliance documentation.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Skill in effectively reviewing work and providing technical assistance to assigned staff.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Public Administration with Finance concentration, Business Administration, Political Science or related field and five (5) years of finance and auditing experience; OR a Master’s degree in Accounting, Public Administration/Finance or Business Administration and three (3) years of finance and auditing experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced degree or CPA preferred.
- Texas Certified notary public preferred or must obtain within three (3) months from date in position.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check and MVR check.
Must possess a valid State of Texas Drivers’ License.